cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Images Not Being Displayed - Plusnet Or Microsoft

boavon
Grafter

Re: Images Not Being Displayed - Plusnet Or Microsoft

A quick update.  Last week Microsoft attempted to cure my problem.  I mentioned to the tech guy on the phone that I suspected I was also having speed problems with my ISP.  But he did not seem interested.  Why is iy that nobody can take an holistic view of IT issues? He clearly new his stuff within the confines of Windows and IE8 but that was it.  We did some fixes and I must admit things did improve - but I suspect it was when the network was perfoming just a lirtlle better - last Thursday evening.
One of the things we did was to remove all reference to Adobe Flash using an adobe tool and tyen re-install the latest version.  He told me that Adobe Flash also handles static images as well as things like i-player.  I had told him during the conversation that i-player was workeing fine and that all BBC web stuff was OK too.  I also mentioned to him that I was having no problems with an old laptop running Kubuntu and Firefox.  He then asked if I was running Firefox on my offending machine which I wasnt at the time.  I think he asked that so that he could then say it was Firefox fault.
As I say, he did improve matters but I think he just got lucky.  The same night and since there is no difference.  Very rarely get pictures from the google image page and the same in e-bay.  I'm living with it - but getting increasingly annoyed.  One day, I know PN will be back to acceptable speed and performance.  When that day arrives - I will return to the issue.  For now it would seem that there are just too many possibilities at the various layers and providers of the total service.  One day, we might just have one single provider of broadband/operating system and telecoms.  If John Lennon was still alive would he add another verse to his Imagine song?  Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@boavon, the example screengrab you linked to in a previous post doesn't suggest a minfestation of the recent Akamai problems to me, especially on your account type.
Given the fact that the problem is evident on multiple machines the first thing I would do if you haven't done already (forgive me if you have) is to try an alternative modem/router.
I recognise that things seem to work OK some of the time but hardware problems/misconfiguration can be an odd breed at times.
At this side we could arrange for you to disconnect so that we could dial in as yourself and see if we can replicate the problem however if I'm honest I'm quietly confident we wouldn't be able to.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

boavon
Grafter

Very many thanks for your interest Bob.
I have no idea where I can get a loan modem/router from but will try.  No disrespect, but although I'm happy to swap (if I can get one), it doesn't answer my nagging question when fault finding; "What has changed?"  The 3com wireless router has served me well a few years now.  I am now having the same problems with XP and Kubuntu machine on the same router.  Could PN speed/performance be a cause?  (Clearly not tonight - see below). Any other diagnostics I could run?  I'd need an idiots guide.

boavon
Grafter

Since my last post - a few minutes ago - I felt I needed to do another few tests - given what appeared to be my best speed for weeks.  And lo and behold, after doing unique google and ebay searches (for images that have never been serched before and for images that have) on all 4 machines, (MESH VISTA desktop IE8, ACER VISTA laptop IE8, ACER XP Firefox and Toshiba TECRA 8100 runnung Kubunto and Firefox) - everthing is working fine.
Whooppee!  So it must have been speed/performance.  Any comment from anyone?

boavon
Grafter

I'm getting fed up of this.  Angry  Its up and down like the proverbial! Smiley
Now not as good.  Some images display - but not all.  Could it be the ping times - packet loss?  I haven't much of a  clue what I'm talking about here - but I have read many other posts and articles over the years and "they" often talk about this. 
boavon
Grafter

Found out how to do a tracert in VISTA.  Decided to check on one of the sites that ebay uses to store its images.  Is this any good?
See attachment.
Just spotted - Bob it is an Akamai server - Does Orbrey know any more?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That Tracert is fine.
All the hops in the plus.net domain are perfectly acceptable to me, the rest not too bad.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@boavon
The 3com wireless router has served me well a few years now.

it could be after that time that your router is tired out, most have a life of about 2 to3 years,
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As a result of some of the recent problems, I've had some abysmal performance at times - pages not loading, taking ages to load, bad speedtests & pings - however, not once has this resulted in a specific problem with images. Things are improving considerably, still not seen any image problems per se. Hope that helps.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Images Not Being Displayed - Plusnet Or Microsoft

Hi boavon,
It definitely is an akamai server, as per the resolved name in your traceroute - a1223.cp.akamai.net though as Bob says your problems may well not be caused by these issues. It would definitely be worth testing with an alternative router, if you can.
boavon
Grafter

Just to let all interested parties know, that this morning I installed a new router (NETGEAR - ex-VIRGIN ISP locked) and yes all google images and e-bay images now load succesfully on all wireless networked computers regardless of O/S or browser type.  I'll keep the 3COM as a spare.
I have to admit to being sceptical about the possible solution - but you learn something new every day.
Could a kind moderator please amend the topic to include SOLVED in the topic title.
Many thanks to all.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can change the title yourself, go to your first item, click modify and go to title and add  Solved to it, then post
boavon
Grafter

Re: [SOLVED] Images Not Being Displayed - Plusnet Or Microsoft

Thanks Pierre.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd be interested to see if someone with the right knowledge could explain why a modem/router could behave like this when all else seems fine.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Could have ben an MTU issue as per Rami's post here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵