Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR up again!

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: SNR up again!

OK, just been onto the suppliers. Apparently they set it to 9 by mistake yesterday! They say it has been applied now, so should definitely be updating soon.  Smiley
Kingsgate15
Grafter

Hi Jojo, I really do appreciate all your hard work - everything here is looking good as you can see from the stats below.  You certainly earn your bread on here, don't you?!!   Have a great weekend.  Keith  Grin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank goodness for that. So, your target will stay permanently on 6dB so it will try to give you that each time you resync Smiley
Kingsgate15
Grafter

Hello again!  Having had my SNR hard fixed to 6dB, it is now up again at 9.1dB.  I have been experimenting with wi-fi (have been using ethernet) on different routers that I have and therefore had several (no more than 6 or 7) reconnects over a period of 2 to 3 hours (not 10 in one hour!), the last one that I did being at about 1215 today. The sync then was 61xx on 6dB SNR.
At 1320, I noticed that the sync had dropped to 52xx and the SNR was up at 9.1dB. 
What's happened to the hard fixed 6dB and can it be restored please?  Sad

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Kingsgate15
What's happened to the hard fixed 6dB and can it be restored please? 

I don't know and I'll have to look into that. It is not an easy process. I will see tomorrow how to go about getting it back.
Jojo Smiley
Kingsgate15
Grafter

Hi Jojo, thanks again for your help and sorry to add to your list of 'things to do'!  This is really strange, because the router I now have connected is the TP-Link TD-W8960N which, from past experience, has proved to be extremely good at retaining sync as low as 1dB SNR.
I'm not aware of having done anything to cause the disconnect at about 1320, particularly as I was actually setting up my printer at the time (usb).  Given my past problems with disconnects between 1230 and 1430 nearly every day, I do wonder if the DSLAM is going scatty!  Keith.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Kingsgate15,
I'm afraid it's not going to be easy getting this done. Looking at the graph I don't see any pattern in the connection dropping at certain times. I imagine the ones over the last few days are you trying different set ups. I'm hoping this is the case anyway.
Jojo Smiley
Kingsgate15
Grafter

Hi Jojo, my reference to disconnects between 1230 and 1430 nearly every day was PRIOR to you having the SNR hard fixed to 6dB. As you can see from the chart and as I mentioned above, the last disconnect under 13 was not done by me.  This is when, for whatever reason, the exchange decided to up my SNR to 9dB again on a re-sync for reasons unknown.
I also discovered later in the evening that placing an active wireless router on a high frequency next to the TV is NOT a good idea!  Mine caused picture blocking on most non-BBC Freeview channels and after doing some research, sorted the problem by changing the wireless channel to a lower frequency.
Anyway, I am now back on ethernet (faster than wireless) with a different router.  As I still have a good connection for a long line, I'll let things settle down again.
Many thanks, Keith.    Smiley

Kingsgate15
Grafter

2.04pm. Not having touched the router for several hours, I have just lost connection for no obvious reason and most certainly nothing to do with anything internal at my end.  SNR UP at 12.3dB and sync down from 55xx to a pathetic 4694.
It seems to me that someone is deliberately pulling the plug on my connection - otherwise why else would a stable 9dB SNR suddenly jump to 12dB?
As the router has not lost power, these disconnects MUST be to do with the exchange end and, reinerating that which I have already mentioned, back to random disconnects between 1230 and 1430 daily.
Something is NOT right and it certainly has nothing to do with me at my end.  Perhaps further investigation is required.  Thanks, Keith  Angry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Keith,
I would say now is the time to raise a fault. It sounds like it needs more intrusive investigation, so that would be the best course of action.
Jojo Smiley
Kingsgate15
Grafter

Hi Jojo, thanks for the advice which I have now followed.  Same thing happened again today at about 1239 and sent the SNR up to 15dB! As I was out at the time, with no other electrical devices on except for the router, I'm beginning to think that aliens might be involved!  Keith  Grin

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Keith,
I'm presuming you are currently in the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
Kingsgate15
Grafter

Hi Jojo - yes, router is connected to the test socket via a brand new, never before used BT filter, with the only telephone connected to same filter. Hope that helps. Keith  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Keith ,
Just a bit confused, because on your ticket you say it's in the master socket. Do you mean your plugged into the faceplate or the socket behind, having removed the faceplate?
Jojo Smiley
Kingsgate15
Grafter

Hi Jojo, just to clear up any confusion - up until yesterday, the router was plugged into the faceplate on the master socket, which had one extension connected to it and an ADSL filter connected to that with phone attached (same setup as for the last 2 months or so and has not caused any problems before).  When doing a line test, I could here strange 'whirring' noises on the line (never heard them before on this particular phone) and so disconnected the filter and phone from the extension, which caused the router to drop sync. Before it could resync, I shot across the room and unplugged the router from the faceplate on the master socket, removed the faceplate (and extension) and reconnected the router straight into the test socket via an ADSL filter.
Hope that helps.  Keith  Smiley