cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR stuck on 15 db

WebDude
Grafter

SNR stuck on 15 db

Hi.  I've been connected to PN ADSL for about 6 months (though account is 7 years old) and landline was "enabled" for use at exchange in February, after some 10 years of non use. 
After reporting (to BT) several faults, in the time since going live (voice and broadband died for up to 5 days at a time), and once again on Friday last week, Openreach /BT installed a new master socket and replaced the dropwire as the insulation had perished in several places.  That was Saturday morning.
For the last 66+ hours, my sync speed has been in excess of 1750 kbps (for the last 60+ hours at 1856 kbps).  Although the Openreach engineer suggested disconnecting and reconnecting my router a few times, I only did so on Saturday a couple of times, and left it alone from before midnight on Saturday.  I did get a similar speed a few months ago, but it was short lived, unfortunately, and in the last 2+ months the sync speed has been a bit over 1 Mbps and data sometimes 750 kbps but more often down at 350 kbps, 250 kbps, or 135 kbps (!)
Seems there was a disconnect around 22:00 on Sunday (only spotted this from 'connection duration' info on Zyxel router) but sync speed returned to 1856 kbps.
I accept getting data throughput back up to say 1.5 Mbps may take some days, but currently seems I am getting 132 kbps (see My Broadband Speed graph) <http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/49354551.png> while the portal reported my throughput speed at 250 kbps (and before that at 750 kbps)
So, guys and gals at PN Towers, can someone tell me how long I need to wait before asking to get the exchange 'reset' so the SNR might start at 6 db again, and perhaps work its way up a bit, but hopefully not to the same level... (I trust this is possible as Bob Pullen did this back in May), now that the line should be a lot more stable, however much it rains from now on!
16 REPLIES 16
mapletree
Grafter

Re: SNR stuck on 15 db

If you have had a long term fault (or faults) it is likely that the BTw system will raise your target margin to try to "compensate" for the problems.  As far as I can tell you now have two issues: high target margin (affecting sync speed) and a low IP profile (affecting download speed).  The latter should recover fairly soon, but can take a few days.  The former can take a very long time.  If you are confident that the underlying fault is fixed then you can request a SNR margin reset/new stabilisation period by raising a ticket.  I can't see a reason to wait.  (The main downside to having a new stabilisation period is that the FTR/MSR are recalculated at the same time which might cause problems in the future if a fault still exists).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@mapletree,
I couldn't have put it better myself!
@WebDude,
I would be willing to do a reset but the line would have to be showing some stability for a time. It's looking a lot better on your connection logs at the moment so I don't think it'll be too much longer before the profile lifts and then we can see how good it stays.
Jojo Smiley
WebDude
Grafter

"I can't see a reason to wait." - nor me, but felt it worth getting an 'official' response if possible...  
Would have posted on Usenet but have to move kit around (since router has had to move from ground to first floor, to follow the master socket, and I have a few PCs to lug upstairs (actually, might consider using HomePlug to link a hub downstairs with the router).  
Bob created ticket 33206690 in response to my May Usenet query, but today I was thinking no point creating a new ticket if it comes back with a note to say 'Your line is still being assessed by BT DSLAM so wait another 72 hours' or whatever...  so... no point making a ticket until there's someone willing to consider the "SNR reset" worth doing...
WebDude
Grafter

Thanks for response Jojo (and "hello" from a newbie/oldie - new in recent use of ADSL again at PN, old in having been with PN on ADSL a few years back before moving home etc).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WebDude,
Well, look, I'd be happy to reset it for you but it wouldn't be worth creating more complications at this time. You're welcome to keep nudging me though and I'll watch how it's going.
Jojo Smiley
WebDude
Grafter

Is the PlusNet kit limiting me to 135 kbps, or is that down to BT (even though the 'High Speed' page on the portal shows 250 kbps), please ?
Even a boost from just over "dual-channel ISDN" type speed would be an improvement (and make it possible for me to stream music - I keep getting buffering on my [Windows Mobile] phone trying to play WMP streams from the BBC {fixed at 128 kbps, so I have no option to get something slower } )
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WebDude,
the BT profile is 135, our lowest is 250 but it will pick up once the DLM assesses that the line is stable enough. It doesn't matter what we change ours to, the BT one is the most you'll get.
Jojo Smiley
WebDude
Grafter

Rats, thought that might be the case.  Thanks for confirming...
So does that mean the 250 shown on the portal is not strictly a truthful copy of the BT setting ?
Not a big issue (hope few people ever get stuck with 135 k anyway), but confirms there's no point me looking at that for guidance, for now at least....
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah, all the other profiles match but 250 is our lowest.
Jojo Smiley
WebDude
Grafter

Ho hum... ~64 hours connected (do the stats confirm no drops, please?) and I  have now managed to reach 250 kbps (despite sync speed showing 1856 kbps downstream).
I guess I won't be able to watch some TV shows I missed last week...  still "patience is a virtue", I suppose !
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WebDude,
You shall go to the ball!
I've just ran a line test and your profile has lifted so I've nudged it from here and you should see a big improvement now.
Jojo Smiley
WebDude
Grafter

Thanks very much for that, Jojo.  Was out shopping for a bit, have just had a bite to eat, first speed test shows no change but will see how things look this evening, speed-test wise.  Can do other things in between and won't be checking it every 5 minutes !
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WebDude,
The administrative reset has been done now so you shouldn't have to wait too long.
Jojo Smiley
WebDude
Grafter

I was still seeing low (250 kbps) speed this morning, so reconnected the ADSL.  My router suggested the PPP connection had been up since 15:30 so I don't know if it was somehow reset at your end before any other 'profile' info had been changed, ie reconnected with 250 kbps limit.
I don't really trust the info from My Broadband Speed at present (see info below) compared with Speedtest.net result (I didn't run it a few times, just the once for comparison).