Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR still high

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: SNR still high

Were the socket / wiring improvements done?
The DLM will automatically set a 3 dB target SNRM if it determines the line performance is good enough, sometimes it only takes a few days of good performance for the DLM to make a change, although I think it would normally work its way down in steps 12, 9, 6, 3.
XenoGuy
Grafter

Not yet, my friend let me down moving my humongous desk...... But will sometime next month....
I'll see if it can hold at 3db.....
XenoGuy
Grafter

During the day it held, but I had a pppoa disconnect yesterday around 2am, then another drop this morning
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 8,517
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.04 / 26.58
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 7.3 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.6 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.1 / 15.1

Something is broken surely..... Had a 12db snr for months, 2 days ago it dropped to 3db for 2 days, now it's a 15db......
Can a CSR assist me to find out why this is happening please
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think it might be useful to check the router log, where you can find what the SNR margin was at the time the DSL connected. It doesn't seem likely that the DLM will be changing the target SNR margin in such a large leap. Alternatively, what might be happening is that something knocks out the DSL in the early hours of the morning, and it re-connects at the best speed it can get at that time with the target SNR margin and prevailing conditions. Later, whatever knocked out the DSL might have gone away, and the currently reported SNR margin will have risen to indicate there's less noise present.
XenoGuy
Grafter

I just rebooted to see if it improves, but
xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.5; downstream: 8517 kbit/s, upstream: 888 kbit/s; output Power Down: 20.6 dBm, Up: 7.3 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 29.5 dB, Up: 14.6 dB; snr Margin Down: 15.1 dB, Up: 8.9 dB)
cedlor
Grafter

I see you have not done anything about the wiring but did you ever try with just the router and nothing else.
Is your router one that will work with routerstats, as previously suggested that might give us more clues as to what is going on.
XenoGuy
Grafter

What do I export via Router Stats?
XenoGuy
Grafter

4 days in a row something has happened around the same time, either its sync or pppoa, this morning it was pppoa
Jan 24 04:21:05 PPP link up (Internet) []
Jan 24 04:21:04 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)
Jan 24 04:21:02 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost JUNOS (Internet)
Jan 24 04:21:02 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost acc-aln1.l-how (Internet)
Jan 24 04:15:26 PPP link down (Internet)

cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: XenoGuy
What do I export via Router Stats?

Not sure what you mean Routerstats is a software tool that monitors your line. It produces stats and Graphs that
can assist in finding what is causing a problem by examining the graphs for patterns.
See here:  http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstats ;     I have found it really useful in monitoring the SNRM.
The graphs are captured on a regular basis so you do not need to be there as long as you leave it running.
The saved graphs can then be posted on here
XenoGuy
Grafter

I mean what graphs do I attach? I kept it running for well over 12 hours...
cedlor
Grafter

Ok - 12 hours is not really long enough -stick to the Downstream SNRM one for now -
  I think each graph shows about 2 hours worth so you should have 5 or 6 which if  not too big can be added to a single post.
using the additional Options and Attachments section.
On th upstream SNRM graph are there any blips or is it just an almost flat line?
XenoGuy
Grafter

cedlor
Grafter

I dont see much - 2 items of note: in the first picture looks like routerstats stopped, around 14.50 as there is a gap in the time line- something happen then?
and in the second picture there was a margin drop of around 0.5dB at about 16.38 - are you aware of anything being switched on at that time.
The idea is that you leave RS running so you can see when/if the SNRM recovers that 0.5dB, then see if it happens at the same time on what days.
Up SNR jagged??   may as well post a graph.
Maybe change the axis Maximum so you get more detail   - perhaps 18 for the snrm  I also have the sync speed superimposed on mine.
EDIT  Anotherone has given thes instructions (relate to a582N but may help with configuration.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,144626.msg1276142.html#msg1276142