cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR staying high after line fault fixed

davebd

SNR staying high after line fault fixed

I had a line failiure a while back (a few months) which pushed my SNR up from 6 - 12. Allthough the line is now back to normal, and my exchange recently upgraded to ADSL2+, I can still only get my router to  run at SNR of 12, I can tweak this down to about 9 using DG firmware. Am I going to be stuck with this higher SNR?
I am using a Netgear DG834v4 modem/router & my exchange is 1.5 miles away. PN profile: Estimated 11Mb, Current 7Mb
Dave
Downstream:
Noise Margin:    8.9  dB
Connection Rate:  9667  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 38.5  dB
Power:            0.0  dBm
Max Rate:        12160 Kbps
7 REPLIES 7
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: SNR staying high after line fault fixed

Hi davebd,
I've just completed an SNR Reset back to 6db for you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You should remove the snr tweak or else it could just bounce up again
davebd

Thanks to you both, will go into the router's settings and reset to default,
Dave
davebd

The DSLAM has today incresed my download speed from 7Mb to 9.2MB. Line is stable even with thunderstorms, SNR drops to 2.8db at it's lowest. I expected the ADSL2+(21 CN), to respond more quickly? I thought the newer 21CN system responded in real time rather than the 3 day evaluation on the 20CN, but it seems to take a day or two to make a decission.
New figures:
Noise Margin:    3.6  dB
Connection Rate:  11219 Kbps
Line Attenuation: 38.5  dB
Power:            0.0  dBm
Max Rate:        12384 Kbps
Dave
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Dave,
Your line has an excellent synch rate.  If your line remains stable at 3dB then you are on a winner.
You might need to drop the PPP session (use the router admin page) to pick up a revised profile.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

BT's DLM on 21CN used to work quickly after a fix but not any more.  I had to recently get a SNR reset applied after DLM saw my line as amber quality even though it had a solid sync for 21 days and DLM changed it to 12.  So I asked for a SNR reset and was told 2 days later that DLM had just rated my line as green again so leave it alone to fix its self.
Then DLM decided to set my SNR to 3 as well, which my line length cannot support so requested it reset to 6.  That failed and they reset my line instead, so now stuck in the 10 days of joy on 3 SNR with errors in the thousands every hour.  So far 2 days in and still on 3 SNR, that after a couple of manual reboots to force a change.  So I am thinking that DLM is broken. 
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
davebd

Reset my connection today and checked my status with the BT broadband speedtest. I now have a download speed of 9.2Mb and a profile of 8.25Mb even after doing a reset, hope it won't cause any complications later!
Dave