Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR slowly drops

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: SNR slowly drops

Hi SteveA,
I wouldn't pay too much heed to the speed test, they can sometimes produce random results like that. Your line is performing really well given your stats too.
Jojo Smiley
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

The V8 certainly seems to be much better behaved that the V7 router - even if the web UI is much slower and its certainly cured the random drops and disconnects I was getting.
It will be interesting to see how well it will behave when we move to the other side of town and into a bad area for ADSL.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Steve, it looks like the SNr on the US is quite high too, youd probably end up getting a good 700-800K often on the upstream if it was uncapped (if this option is available to you) -- if that would be of interest.
Although if your moving, kinda pointless Smiley heh -- what speeds you expecting at the other premesis?Huh
Regards
SteveA
Pro

The BT ADSL checker says about 1.5MB and talking to the people in there it would seem to be about what they're getting. Cheltenham is an embarrassment when it comes to ADSL - we actually didn't go for one property because the line speed was about 512K, and we're not talking about houses out in the sticks here.
That reminds me - I must get onto PN and raise a ticket to get my phone number and everything moved to the new address.
matt_2k34
Grafter

heh
Although being urbanized, you should see FTTC soon enough - surely?  Huh
Regards
SteveA
Pro

FTTC is supposed to be here sometime soon - its slipped a couple of times, and once again BT seem to have removed and FTTC details for Cheltenham
SteveA
Pro

OK its not a gradual drop - its a sudden non reversing drop
Here's the SNR from routerstats, and the bitswaps.
I was in the house at the time and nothing happened - no phone call, no changes to anything. So this sudden SNR drop is coming from somewhere but not from inside the house as far as I can tell.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Something is causing bit swaps - low level interference perhaps.
This is what mine looks like - you will see that for most of the time it doesn't swap anything
The second is bit swaps per tone since i started routerstats - does yours look anything like it
SteveA
Pro

it looks like this
SteveA
Pro

Well either my router is lying or there is something odd going on.
Twice in the space of 45 minutes last night the upstream and downstream SNR dropped to 0 and the bitswap rate jumped, but the line didn't drop at all.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Did the sync speeds reported by RouterStats also drop to zero at the same time the noise margins did? Just speculating those 'drops' are missed samples because the router was busy maintaining the connection.
David
SteveA
Pro

No - synch speeds stayed constant