Did you mean: 

SNR reset request

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: SNR reset request

@ejs,
Very few lines, even the best, will perform at their theoretical level.  For setting reasonable expectations in people's minds, using the reported attenuation (in speed calculators) produces a figure which might be reasonably attained without entering into the debate about how much different ADSL(1) and ADSL2+ will report the attenuation to be on the same line.  Is it 1.5dB, 2.5dB, 3dB or some other figure?  Using adjusted figures creates a distracting debate, using the reported figures (and accepting that these are ESTIMATIONS) negates the debate.
If the line is really good, it might indeed deliver something higher than that projected using the reported attenuation, in which case the person advised will be delighted.  If the higher speed projected by a wet-finger adjustment of the attenuation is not met, they will be disgruntled and feel short changed... leading to an unresolvable "I am not getting my fair share spat".
My preference is to set reasonable expectations and see people delighted when they are met and over joyed when they are exceeded, rather than set expectations which are more likely to be unfilled leading to dissatisfaction.  Which camp will you settle in?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

br4011
Dabbler

@Chris
Quote from: Chris
I'm here!
I'll go uncap the upstream for you.

Thanks for doing this. I haven't noticed any change on my connection - same IP address etc. Do I need to Disconnect, then Reboot the router?
Simon
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry, should have mentioned that the order will be next day.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
br4011
Dabbler

Chris, I'll let you know tomorrow what happens.
Thanks,
Simon
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Townman
Very few lines, even the best, will perform at their theoretical level.  For setting reasonable expectations in people's minds, using the reported attenuation (in speed calculators) produces a figure which might be reasonably attained without entering into the debate about how much different ADSL(1) and ADSL2+ will report the attenuation to be on the same line.  Is it 1.5dB, 2.5dB, 3dB or some other figure?  Using adjusted figures creates a distracting debate, using the reported figures (and accepting that these are ESTIMATIONS) negates the debate.

So you are going to keep putting the wrong figure into the estimator then. There isn't really anything to debate here.
If the line is really good, it might indeed deliver something higher than that projected using the reported attenuation, in which case the person advised will be delighted.  If the higher speed projected by a wet-finger adjustment of the attenuation is not met, they will be disgruntled and feel short changed... leading to an unresolvable "I am not getting my fair share spat".

Did you write this yourself or did another one help you?
My preference is to set reasonable expectations and see people delighted when they are met and over joyed when they are exceeded, rather than set expectations which are more likely to be unfilled leading to dissatisfaction.  Which camp will you settle in?

I thought the answer to your final question should have been obvious if you look at the value I subtracted from the attenuation.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: ejs
So you are going to keep putting the wrong figure into the estimator then. There isn't really anything to debate here

If 2dB and exactly 2dB will always be the difference between ADSL(1) and ADSL2+ on every line I agree the figure will always be wrong and there is nothing to debate.  Whilst it might be about that figure, using the reported figure is near enough for setting reasonable expectations.
Quote from: ejs
Did you write this yourself or did another one help you?

Such bickering helps no one - please stop it.
For the record, I am capable of writing my own observations thank you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

For the record, I am capable of writing my own observations thank you.

Thanks for not actually answering my question.
I don't suppose anyone is interested in finding out if this line would work better on ADSL2, since no-one can know for sure if it will or not in advance of trying it. I guess it's just tough luck then that some exchange equipment doesn't do that automatically. So this line is only doing slightly better than your presumably slightly longer line does on ADSL2. Although this line has interleaving off, which may explain the difference.
br4011
Dabbler

The line reset this morning as promised, and here's the new stats from the router.

Mode: ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (1 dB): 4.2 5.4
Attenuation (1 dB): 49.5 26.9
Output Power (1 dBm): 18.2 11.9
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 5732 1032

Path 0 Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 5431 800 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 59 14 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 169 100 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 1 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 1 1 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0 0 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.9956 4.0000 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 1366 202 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 1 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 0 1 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 0.00 0.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 0 0 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 69343 318 0 0
RS Words: 0 2490294 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 127950 201 0 0
OCD Errors: 22 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 22 0 0 0
Total Cells: 416606373 61352907 0 0
Data Cells: 8405193 732874 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 147 0 0

Total ES: 42003 272
Total SES: 65 3
Total UAS: 368 78

Looks like the US has improved just as you said.
Thank you to all who have got involved with improving my broadband. I'm really pleased with the result.
Best regards,
Simon
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Considering other people's stats like these, I still reckon you'd do better by switching the mode to ADSL2. If you try it and in the unlikely event it doesn't make an improvement, then you could just as easily change the setting back again.