cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR reset request

Lorian
Grafter

SNR reset request

I just raised a ticket to ask for my BRAS target SNR to be reset to 6db.
In past experience this involves several replies from CS saying it can't be done, followed by a couple of replies from BT saying it can't be done, followed by several replies from BT saying they have done it when they haven't, and eventually someone does it.
So, in an attempt to get this done while I'm away for a while I am offering an incentive. If any CS rep can get it done, without me having to keep stirring the process along there is a big (family sized) bag of Maltesers on offer, including 1st class postage Shocked
Ticket Number 22920384

Moderators, if there is a forum rule against my offer please feel free to delete the bit about the maltesers, and I'll eat them  Grin
Thanks
36 REPLIES 36
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: SNR reset request

The process is no different and as far as I am aware has not got any easier going by recent reports. It still has to be reported as a fault (why as I think it should be dealt with as a configuration change) which BT then say no fault found and the ticket tennis starts and eventually ends up at the manager level after everyone gets irate with the system before anything actually happens.
Lorian
Grafter

Looks like you are right. I just had the first "we can't do this" (parapharased) reply from CS....
I'm sure the maltesers will will help. If no one in CS wants them I'll send them to Ben Verwaayen. I'm away for a week, so we will see.
Wouldn't it be better that the process just got fixed. It would save a lot of time on everyone's part.
James
Grafter

Don't be so sure Wink
I'll see your bag of maltesers and raise you an updated ticket.
Lorian
Grafter

Thanks James.
James
Grafter

Thanks guys.
Just to set a realistic impression, these will take a few days at best, which may involve fighting with BT Smiley
I'll get it sorted as soon as I can.
James
Grafter

James,
Replied to your ticket.  Need something a little more specific.
carrot63
Grafter

I need this doing too, and feel theres safety in numbers. So since everyone else is asking.. me too please.
I think the SNR is 9db from the initial training in Dec last year, when xmas lights, nylon jumpers, combing hair too often might have pushed it up - it never went above 6db the first time I was maxed.
James, what info do I need to add to the ticket, and what type of ticket should I raise (i.e. faults or whatever).
Ta
James
Grafter

There might be safety in numbers for you guys Wink
Just raise a bog standard ticket for my attention and ask for me to ask BT to reset the target snr to a defined amount.  I'll then make a couple updates on your ticket and then raise with BT.
If you just raise a generic ticket, that'll be more than enough for me.
James
Grafter

Smiley
There would be more risk of intermittency/loss of connection if we went straight for 6.  Let's go for 9dB and see what happens.
I can always raise a subsequent fault.
carrot63
Grafter

James,
Ticket raised (22920960). Fingers crossed!
James
Grafter

James,
Tickets updated and fault raised.
Monday appears to be SNR day.
James
Grafter

Carrot63,
Same as for the others.  you should have a couple of ticket updates.
Anyone fancy a sweepstake on whose gets done first?
carrot63
Grafter

Cheers for that James.
I might take a punt on who'll be last, and having been here before, I reckon it'll be me. Roll_eyes
carrot63
Grafter

Well, considering the lightning speed that was done, I doubt I was last in line -completed by 3pm yesterday!
James, thanks for the phone call letting me know -nice to put a voice to the typos typing. And an especially large thank you for heroically taking on BTs "resistance is futile" line and getting this done so quickly.
a Team Leader at BT has now arranged to have your target noise margin changed from 9 to 6dB, although he has warned that this could potentially cause intermittency.

Mon, 2007-09-24 18:51:26 - Loss of synchronization :1
Mon, 2007-09-24 19:52:57 - Loss of synchronization :2
Tue, 2007-09-25 04:17:07 - Loss of synchronization :3
Tue, 2007-09-25 14:43:20 - Loss of synchronization :4
I get occasional 'loss of sync', as above, in any case, and from past experience when SNR was previously 6db its not an issue. I've never once noticed it happening or interrupting me, and it seems from the router log it's so brief the connection to PN isn't actually lost. It was no better on 9db than 6db, and I'm happier with the extra speed.
The computer is 20 metres of cheap £3 extension cable, a couple of splitters and dubious m-f adapters away from the master socket (where I get a higher sync in any case). We both smoke like chimneys and live next to a smog producing main road, and I suspect this makes all the (too many) contacts grubby  - when I give them a periodic clean the loss of sync usually reduces. I was thinking of celebrating the new 6db by splashing out on an NTE5 filtered faceplate (from Clarity http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm), and  a Cat5 cable carrying the split filtered/unfiltered signal with fewer joins. It's about 40 quid all in, so any comments on whether its actually worthwhile, or might I be better off putting a wireless router at the master socket and creating a wireless "bridge" to the computer area?
Anyway, a big thank you once again James.
Mark