cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR reset please <cry>

MatrixRob
Grafter

SNR reset please <cry>

Firstly, my computing competence background.
Been building, fixing and configuring PC's since the mid nineties from Windows 3.11 (28.8k modem era) to Windows 10 (fibre era) although this does not quantify me as an expert  Wink
Since the beginning of the year 2015, my internet speed has been on average 12-14mbps d/l speed (switching my router off every night)
Now it is at 5.6mbps, whether I leave it on or switch it off at night.
This started over a week ago and did not report it as i thought it would be rectified over a few days but, no ¬
So I phoned and a ticket was raised on my behalf by a helpful CS assistant who advised me to leave my router on.
I have done this since saturday 21st Nov but, to no avail, still getting 5.6mbps d/l (with a couple of interuptions made from myself)
I have followed the neverending maze that is the web orientated customer support to no avail. (that is in dire need of attention for troubleshooting, dead links etc..)
Can someone please check why my speed has dropped so dramatically, I'm at the end of my tether with this.
My feedback on Plusnet (over the last two years):
Great when the IT infrastructure works (95% of the time)
Plusnet's CS is good on the phone when you have a spare 45mins just to get through to speak to someone but, the follow-up to problems is shocking and slow!
It seems the Broadband service is now levelling to this standard also, specifically ADSL.
Would I recommend plusnet as an ISP to others who are looking to switch...?
Surely ADSL should be fast enough for people who do not watch online TV/ Films which I don't AND I do not abuse download quotas (Microsoft can reply to this if I do)
This got me to thinking:
Are plusnet newtering ADSL line throughput to gain extra revenue from a switch to fibre across the board?
Why is there a distinct rise in compaints regarding the speed of ADSL?
Coincidence?!

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
38 REPLIES 38
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Sssslow ADSL

Right OK, forget this "line neutering stuff" and download speeds for a moment, lines develop problems for one reason or another from time to time.
What we need to see are the full xDSL stats (link in my sig), the IP Profile from the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image), and also your Current Line speed (Login required) - don't post your phone number Wink
Apart from wanting to upgrade the firmware (now done), have you changed anything else about your installation - where you are plugged in, filters, hard wired extensions etc ?
MatrixRob
Grafter

Thanks for the offer of assistance Anotherone but, I don't and have never used Adobe Flash for at least 5 years, as it is full of exploits and a potential target for malware. (some do, some don't)
So, with that in mind , I can't proceed to the BTW Performance test. Is there an alternative without flash (HTML5)?
Nothing has changed with regards to hardware/ software set-up for the last couple of years.
Tried different ADSL Filters, as I have many.
PC directly into Master phone socket, no malware or viruses, PC secure via report from www.grc.com
I've conducted an  online broadband test (see attached jpg)
EDIT: forgot the xDSL stats, now attached.
dick:quote
Albert Einstein
MatrixRob
Grafter

xDSL stats attached now. (see post above)
Albert Einstein
Anotherone
Champion

Was just about to ask, but also where's your Current Line speed (Login required)  That might be in line with the BT IP Profile if the systems have updated correctly.
OK, one reason that you've got a poor speed is that your connection looks (speed) banded - that's speed limited by DLM.
Your Target SNRM may also be at 15dB which won't help, that also will knock the speed back even if you weren't banded.
The question is why has this happened? Have you been re-booting a lot in a short time frame and/or swapping filters, or anything else that would cause a loss of sync? Any audible noise on the phone line? Use the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2 if need be.
MatrixRob
Grafter

ok
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed: 5.8 Mb
The drop in noticable b/band speed happened about 10 days ago, without any interuptions. Since then it has dropped dramatically so I done the following:
1. I tried a different router for a few days and no difference in speed but with no wireless (hated it)
2. Got my mate to update the TG582n to the newest firmware, then swapped the back routers again after configuring offline.
3. Two days later I made a call to Plusnet CS on saturday 21st November, who raised a ticket. (said they would phone back but never did)
4. Left the router on for 3 days as per instructions from CS and no change in speed.
5. Yesterday, I disconnected the router and reset to defaults and manually added my settings (instead of using my stored .ini file)
6. Has beed on since then at a constant 5.x mbps AFIAK
Quiet Line Test 17070 is busy..or is it buzby
There is absolutely no telephone line noise at all (and the landline wireless telephone is at least 5 meters from the router to avoid wireless crossover/ interference)
So how do I change the DLM & SNRM or is that a Plusnet trigger?
dick:quote
Albert Einstein
Anotherone
Champion

DLM is automated exchange "Dynamic Line Management". Once a line is Banded, the cause needs to have "gone away" before DLM will "undo" the banding (that can take days) or Plusnet do a line reset. Changing Modem/routers, doing a reboot etc will have no effect.
Your ES & CRC errors being 0 for 22+hrs uptime suggests there is currently nothing wrong with the line. If your line is silent, and if your connection for those 3 days was solid and the only disconnect was yesterday when you reset the TG582n, then I see no reason that your line can't have an SNR Reset.
What may have caused the issue in the first place is difficult to say. There may have been work going on in the exchange or even a local cable repair which had affected others, and any of that just happened to have disturbed your connection. These things happen now and again, it's unfortunate.
Can you post the fault ticket number here, hopefully one of the CRT will take a look and organise an SNR Reset.
PS. Can you use the Reply button, not the Quote one - Forum Rules Wink
MatrixRob
Grafter

********** - CSC Analyst
11:48am, Saturday 21 Nov 2015
speeds are currently 6.8mb dl when user was receiving 14-15mb.
Wired test is still running slow and connected into test socket.
raised due to bbfc being down on 21/11/2015
Kind regards
Albert Einstein
MatrixRob
Grafter

FAO plusnet authorised personnel:
Can you do a SNR Reset on my line please to re-activate my bb throughput and close off my outstanding ticket. (see above)
If you need more info let me know via this thread.
Much appreciated
Albert Einstein
Anotherone
Champion

It's already flagged Wink Hopefully will happen soon Huh
MatrixRob
Grafter

Thanks for your assistance in this issue Anotherone, if this works, I'm due you a virtual pint! <beer emoticon>
Albert Einstein
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm just having a look now.
[EDIT]
I've pushed through a line reset and you should see a increase shortly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MatrixRob
Grafter

Thanks guys, my broadband speed is now back to normal  Smiley
speed test results below.
Albert Einstein
Anotherone
Champion

Keep an ear on your phone line periodically, just in case you have an intermittent connection somewhere Wink
MatrixRob
Grafter

[now on new thread] <cry>
Albert Einstein