cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR margin dropping to 3dB after 4 to 5 days up time...

youngsyp
Grafter

SNR margin dropping to 3dB after 4 to 5 days up time...

Hi all,
Since the end of my line's training period, I've been having to re-sync my router with the DSLAM, every 4 to 5 days, as the SNR margin drops from 7dB (after re-sync) to 3dB in that time. Once the SNR margin gets to below 4dB, general responsiveness of my web access suffers and it starts to become an annoyance.
Other than this, my line is rock solid with no drops at all, with pretty static line speeds and latency (even during the low SNR margin state). Is there anything that can be done to stabilise the SNR margin at around 6dB? I want to stick to that level for obvious reasons.
The last time I asked, my target SNR margin is 6dB for reference.
Thanks in advance,
Paul
17 REPLIES 17
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: SNR margin dropping to 3dB after 4 to 5 days up time...

Hi youngsyp,
Your target looks like 6dB to me too. Are you in the test socket at the moment?
Jojo Smiley
youngsyp
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
No, I'm not on the test socket however, I know for a certainty that my end is as good as it can be.
This is my set up: I have a fairly new NTE5 socket that's wired with just the A and B legs in the correct configuation, with no extensions, at the point the drop line comes into the house. On the front of the master socket is an ADSLnation filtered faceplate. From there, the router is located as far away from the phone (and any other device) as possible on the end of a shielded (Belkin) RJ11 cable.
If you want me to connect directly to the test socket though, to rule that out, I'm hapy to.
I reset my router (remotely) at around 12.15pm today and here are the current speed and ping test results.

The SNR margin, after reset, was 8dB. It's now hovering around 7.5dB as shown by RouterStats.
Thanks,
Paul
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

My gut feel is that it is a bit swapping problem with the router as it could give that result
youngsyp
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
My gut feel is that it is a bit swapping problem with the router as it could give that result
Interesting and something I can monitor for any problem solving.
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi youngsyp,
I would only say test socket to rule out anything else. I'd be interested to know.
Jojo Smiley
youngsyp
Grafter

Yep, no worries, I understand. I'm just a bit loathed to disconnect the router as I know the sync will drop and I'll be put on a lower IP profile.
I'm about 65 miles away from my router now so, will plug it into the test socket either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Thanks,
Paul
jim:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Paul,
Whenever it's most convenient for you. One disconnect in a 24 hour period shouldn't affect the DLM.
Jojo Smiley
youngsyp
Grafter

Ok Joanne, no worries.
I'll do it tomorrow morning, before I leave for work to give it the best chance of re-syncing at a decent speed.
Thanks,
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Paul,
That would probably be for the best, as daylight hours reboot is always more advisible than night time.
Jojo Smiley
youngsyp
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
All running through the test socket now, as requested.
I checked the line stats on the way to work and the downstream SNR margin was 7.5dB. As of now, it's 6.5dB so, looks like it's following the trend nicely.
Thanks,
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Paul,
Thanks for that. Keep me posted on what happens.
Jojo Smiley
youngsyp
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
Looks like the line is sitting at around 6.5dB on the SN margin now, after a reduction from 7.5dB immediately after the disconnect to plug into the test socket. I'll leave it configured as it is now for a week or so and monitor it.
I checked the bit swapping yesterday evening and there seemed to be much less going on which is interesting.
On to a related matter; this will sound like a broken record but, I'm confident my line can support a higher throughput. The line stats would seem to support that too and inputting my attenuation figure into the maximum speed tool on the Kitz website brings out a figure of 3680Kb/s (using a 55dB attenuation as the tool doesn't allow half dB's). Apart from the reducing SN Margin issue, the line is rock solid (as I'm sure your tools can show you) with the only disconnections occurring intentionally. So, would you be able to look into how I can get closer to that figure?
I think a big part of the issue (if not the sole cause) is that when I re-sync, the router will always do so with an SN Margin of 7.5dB to 8dB. This will happen no matter when I re-sync. That could easily account for the 'lost' throughput alone...
Thanks,
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi youngsyp,
I can't think why it's not syncing higher either, especially seeing as you're in the test socket. Have you tried a different filter or an alternative router? If so, then I suggest raising a fault and see what we can do from there.
Jojo Smiley
youngsyp
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
Thanks for the response.
I'll leave it as it is for a few days then try another filter. I have an old Netgear router but, the Thompson seemed to be more suited to my line as the speeds on the Netgear were lower. It was a similar story with my last LLU ISP too. I'll give it another shot though.
If that doesn't yeild any positive results, I'll raise a fault. I'm a bit loathed to do that though as I know the response will be that my connection is working within an "acceptable range"...
Thanks,
Paul