cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR etc with separate modem and router - How to view stats?

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: SNR etc with separate modem and router - How to view stats?

Quote from: shure
Thanks, but as the Plusnet login is being handled by the Asus router now I don't understand how that would work?  Wouldn't I have to change the Netgear to modem+router mode anyway to do that (and change from LLC to VC etc)? Or have I totally misunderstood?

My suggestion, if testing with a PC on port 2 of the Netgear works, does not involve taking it out of modem mode.  Just try it if you've got a moment.
geoffa
Grafter

Quote from: zZz
 But from what I've read on Kitz forum, sadly I don't think anyone has got this combo working when the HG612 is specifically configured as an ADSL bridge modem.  ie. it only seems to work in fibre (VDSL) mode from what I've googled.

Not true. This is precisely how I'm running my ADSL connection. Unlocked HG612 as ADSL modem connected to Plusnet TG582n running fibre router firmware. In other words exactly as a fibre connection but using ADSL. Rock solid and modem stats available on 192.168.1.1.
shure
Grafter

@pwatson: tried your suggestion, thanks, but couldn't connect to modem that way.  I'm guessing that's because since there's no DHCP when it's in modem only mode it doesn't have an IP address anyway so there's no way to log into it?  Come to think of it, I'd have to reset the modem anyway in order to get back into it?  Scratching my head here! 
@zZz: I don't quite understand this, sorry.  I thought that putting the Asus into the DMZ would make port forwarding redundant?  Or have I completely missed the plot?
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Quote from: shure
I thought that putting the Asus into the DMZ would make port forwarding redundant?  Or have I completely missed the plot?

It was merely a suggestion if you were having difficulties getting remote login to the Asus to work.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
shure
Grafter

@zZz: I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound dismissive.  I thought I must have misunderstood something.  I'm grateful for the help you've given so far
shure
Grafter

@pwatson
I know this is a really late reply but I've been travelling a LOT and haven't been able to sort this out.  I just wanted to say your solution WORKED and I can now get router stats by fixing a static IP on my laptop and connecting via ethernet cable directly to an empty LAN port on the Netgear.  Initially Windows tried to "repair" the wireless adapter, which is probably why I wasn't getting any joy.  Once I disabled the wireless and set a static IP in the LAN connection it worked like a charm.  Bit of a faff but at least I can see my stats now FWIW.
many, many thanks for your help
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Glad it worked for you  Smiley