cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR etc with separate modem and router - How to view stats?

shure
Grafter

SNR etc with separate modem and router - How to view stats?

I've just installed a separate modem and router and, although things seem OK, was wondering if there was a way for me to monitor the router stats (SNR etc) now I can no longer view my router login page.
Setup:
Netgear DG834PN in modem-only mode, connecting LAN - WAN to Asus RT-N66u router via PPPoE.
21 REPLIES 21
daskinner
Grafter

Re: SNR etc with separate modem and router - How to view stats?

can you not access the netgear 192.168.0.1 ?
shure
Grafter

nope.  In modem only mode it's invisible
edit: I think it's something to do with the fact that the modem is connected through the router's WAN port?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What IP range do you use on the ASUS LAN?  Is it 192.168.0.xxx?
If so, change the Netgear management IP address to something in a different subnet, such as as 192.168.100.1
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shure
Netgear DG834PN in modem-only mode, connecting LAN - WAN to Asus RT-N66u router via PPPoE.

That mode almost certainly switches the router element input/output so that the router function is totally disconnected. Whilst a second 192.168 segment could be addressed on the ASUS WAN port, all the packets would just be passed to the first router beyond the modem (and then dropped).
The easy way to get the stats is to not use bridge mode - though that introduces it's own problems, such as two firewalls  Shocked The ASUS will route packets that are not for the local network to the WAN interface.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
shure
Grafter

@pwatson: the Netgear already uses a different range - 192.168.0.1 vs 192.168.1.1 - so can't change anything there
@PeeGee - I understand what you mean.  Is there really no way to monitor modem traffic with a separate modem and router, though?  Seems like a harsh trade-off!
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, a router running DD-WRT firmware can be configured so you can access the bridge modem through the WAN port.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_To_Modem_Configuration#Primary_Method
I have the above working at another site.  

On a fibre connection, an unlocked Openreach Huawei HG612 modem can be accessed by connecting the LAN2 port from the HG612 to any spare LAN port on the attached router.  But from what I've read on Kitz forum, sadly I don't think anyone has got this combo working when the HG612 is specifically configured as an ADSL bridge modem.  ie. it only seems to work in fibre (VDSL) mode from what I've googled.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

By definition, a modem only modulates/demodulates the data for onward transmission. It has no need for an address. A "modem" with an IP address would have an additional element, such as a router (as in a modem-router), which can be accessed and has an integrated connexion to the modem element for stats. Most available devices are strictly router-switch-WAPs without/with a modem (which I also refer to as a modem-router Shocked ) in that they have 3 or 4 elements in a combined unit. Wink Note that I use a modem-router (no switch, no WAP)  Smiley
This is, unfortunately, an area of confusion, where the term "modem" is incorrectly used for a modem-router(+) combined unit (another example being millibits per second (mbps) used for megabits per second (Mbps) or even megabytes per second (MBps)  Shocked Roll_eyes )
In the case of the DD-WRT firmware, it seems to leave the router active and connected in bridge mode, though it is not clear if it allows "private address" messages (eg 192.168 series) through to the modem or drops them (which will happen at the next "router"). The need for "strong passwords" suggests the former.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
shure
Grafter

thanks for your replies, both. But I am surprised that having a separate modem and router effectively means you no longer have any means of monitoring the quality of your connection.  How are you supposed to diagnose if there is a fault or e.g noise on the line, or even disconnections (or whether your line has interleaving on etc)? I downloaded Routerstats but that didn't work, either, and I couldn't get a reading on TBB.  I wonder that this kind of disadvantage isn't publicised more!
One of the reasons I wanted to check was that I'm currently getting 6.74 Mbps average, while my IP Profile is rated as 7.15 on an 8Mbps line (hey, when you're on ADSL1 every little helps!). Is that a reasonable speed to get and is there anything I can do to try and tweak things?
Thanks in advance
shure
Grafter

sorry to bump this but does no-one have a solution?  Modem + router = no line stats?
kitz
Aspiring Pro

the Netgear already uses a different range - 192.168.0.1 vs 192.168.1.1 - so can't change anything there

I really dont know.. and may be wrong..  what subnet mask are you using.
Have you tried say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254
Someone better at IPaddressing may be better to answer than me, but just throwing in a possible cause. 
shure
Grafter

thanks for your reply, but i don't understand what you mean?  If the Netgear range is 192.168.0.xx and the Asus range is 192.168.1.xx then surely there wouldn't be a conflict anyway?
It looks like I may have to put the Asus back in the DMZ of the Netgear and sacrifice remote login at this rate, which is a bummer as I was really hoping to use it (I work away from home a lot). 
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How are you supposed to diagnose if there is a fault or e.g noise on the line, or even disconnections (or whether your line has interleaving on etc)?

You'll have to configure a static IP on your PC (192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0), disconnect your Asus from port 1 of the Netgear and plug your PC in instead.  Once you are done grabbing diagnostic data, plug your Asus back in and set your PC back as it was.
The problem is down to the fact that your Asus router is using PPPoE and getting a WAN IP address through the Netgear 'modem'.  As a result, there isn't IP connectivity to the modem.
[ADDS]  Thinking more, try configuring your PC as above and trying a LAN port other than port 1.  If you can access the Netgear GUI then set its IP address to something outside the Asus DHCP range eg 192.168.1.253 and then plug port 2 of the Netgear to a LAN port on the Asus.
shure
Grafter

@pwatson
Thanks, but as the Plusnet login is being handled by the Asus router now I don't understand how that would work?  Wouldn't I have to change the Netgear to modem+router mode anyway to do that (and change from LLC to VC etc)? Or have I totally misunderstood?
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

It looks like I may have to put the Asus back in the DMZ of the Netgear and sacrifice remote login at this rate, which is a bummer as I was really hoping to use it (I work away from home a lot).  

fwiw, if you are referring to remote login to the Asus, this in theory is possible.  On your Netgear, you need to look at setting up port forwarding rule to the IP address assigned to the WAN port of the Asus.
I would suggest try setting it up without putting Asus into DMZ first.  Once you have it working, put the Asus back into DMZ and see if remote access is still working.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-