Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR before & after

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

SNR before & after

Purely posting just out of interest with an illustration of effects on SNR margin before and after the switch to ADSL2+

The switch was on the Friday of wk37.
Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: SNR before & after

Dont forget you have the 10 day training period so id expect it to be wobbly through 38 & 39 at least. (10 days is very conservative imo)
deadkenny
Rising Star

Noting that I have no problem with this ;). Line sync is stable, even when SNR has gone down to near 0. Sync is higher than it's ever been generally.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Yeah from the little that ive seen - (at least on my router) it can hold onto the line *much* better than it could an ADSL line - ive had it go down to 1.5 db SNR and the throughput is still good and stable.
Thanks for the graph and data tho - more info is always better =]
scootie
Grafter

dont know how high your syncing but there will be more noise on the line due to the extra feqeunices used. so it wouldnt surrpise me to have alittle extra flucutaion in snr to that of adsl.
deadkenny
Rising Star

Here are the sync and attenuation out of interest.

Of course there's the actual throughput but that is another matter Wink (suffice to say, it's rubbish).
James
Grafter

Deadkenny,
I'm going to place your line on an elevated service offer (bit like max premium without the hike in upload speed).
It should complete tomorrow and hopefully we'll be able to find out if it's exchange congestion that's causing your problems.
scootie
Grafter

i will be intrested to see what results customers that are seeing the poor thoughput will get with elevated best effot as i only have a 2500kbps profile so its hard to tell if my exchange is fine and dandy or if best effot is keeping me save.
for those that try the service this is a run down of what it is
2.Elevated QoS - Targets a minimum throughput of 3Mbps for 90% of the time over the busiest three hour period
With 24Mbps connections soon to become a reality, some might say that only being assured 2Mbps for 90% of the time is perhaps setting the targets a bit low. For the time being though, this would be sufficient for most video streaming services. It would certainly not be sufficient for HD (High Definition) content streaming though.

there is also a standard version to
1.Standard QoS - Targets a minimum throughput of 2Mbps for 90% of the time over the busiest three hour period

bit off topic james but is there any word of PN trialing the real time qos and assured rate options?
James
Grafter

No word yet.
I'm personally concerned that I feel that I am seeing an increase in exchange based congestion issues.  We've seen a few people recently on both 20C and 21C that are seeing slower than IP Profile traffic, where there is no profile issue and a number of these are massively beneath profile.
deadkenny
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
Deadkenny,
I'm going to place your line on an elevated service offer (bit like max premium without the hike in upload speed).
It should complete tomorrow and hopefully we'll be able to find out if it's exchange congestion that's causing your problems.

Thanks James. I'll try to do some regular tests to get a good picture of the throughput from my end.
Edit: I'll post the speed tests to the other thread I started: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79530.0.html
Out of interest, does anyone know a good way of doing command line speed tests, e.g. from a linux server? I can access my home server via ssh command line from work and could do speed tests from there Cheesy