cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Target Request

edexcelgce

SNR Target Request

Hi
I was wondering if someone could inform me about whether my line is on Interleaved or Fast Path and also my SNR Target?
It would be nice if you could tell me if it worth risk to decrease to a 3db SNR target, my downstream attenuation is 27.5db and line length is 1.9km
Thanks a lot
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: SNR Target Request

Your current profile is:
WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
The target SNR is 6db currently and there's no interleaving in place.
However with these stats below I'd be concerned about lowering the SNR margin.
Indicative Line Quality:  A 
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):  35 
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
edexcelgce

Hi would it be possible to try out the lower 3db target? Or be switched to Fast Path ?
edexcelgce

Or maybe even 3db Interleaved ?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There's no interleaving at the moment, so you're already on fastpath. Even moving the profile to 3db with interleaving could cause issues with the error rate being where it is. What issues are you seeing with your connection?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
edexcelgce

No errors whatsoever, its just that i think I'd be able to receive a faster speed, I was told my line would struggle at 6db but it seems to be doing fine for now and for a year with my previous provider.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: Chris
However with these stats below I'd be concerned about lowering the SNR margin.
Indicative Line Quality:  A 
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):  35 

Quote from: edexcelgce
No errors whatsoever, its just that i think I'd be able to receive a faster speed, I was told my line would struggle at 6db but it seems to be doing fine for now and for a year with my previous provider.

On average you are getting an error every 35 seconds.  This is not really good enough to risk lowering the SNRM.  You might indeed get a slightly faster synch, but at an even higher error rate, causing more data packets to require retransmission.  Such retransmissions result in a lowered effective data transfer rate - something I am sure you do not want.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

MTBE of 35 is an error second (one or more errors) every 35 seconds.
Without seeing the full set of stats, speeds, attenuations, snr margins, it's not really possible to say if the current performance is good, bad or indifferent.