Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Reset

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: SNR Reset

Your router could be rubbish for the crappy speed and noise margin too high. It happen to me before, DG834N are the worse poor router only getting 11 Meg from this router. Until I brought a new router DGND3700 and out of suddenly the exchange had detect it and increasing my sync rate from 13455K to 17315K and the SNR went from 6dB to stable 3dB. Quite happy with it.
I would suggest u to try different router as getting a MAC will not improve your line at all. It all down to your equipment really.
My line attenunation was 32dB and managed to get sync rate of 17315k from SNR of 3dB.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 17315 kbps 1279 kbps
Line Attenuation 32.0 db 17.0 db
Noise Margin 3.3 db 5.5 db
austinsom
Grafter

@ Anotherone - I have yet to try your suggestions as I have been advised to leave things for 72 hours just to see how it goes and whether there is still noise on my voiceline.  So far my router has been up for just over two days, and the SNRM seems to have stabilised now it is at 6dB (It appears it may have been lowered to 3dB by mistake).  If things are still not settled by then I'll give that a try, but the socket is a brand new NTE5a, which had the face replaced a few weeks ago by an ADSL nation filtered plate.  Although I had to extend the ADSL to the extension I wanted it on before filtering it there, which actually made things a bit quicker and slightly more stable.
@ goldenADSL - Thanks for the input.  The router I'm using is a new ASUS DSL-N55U which is supposed to be (with the new firmware) a reliable and stable router, although not necessarily with the highest speed.  I would rather sacrifice a little speed for reliability.  I have also tried the line with an old but extremely reliable US Robotics 9108A, and although it synched quite a bit higher, the wireless is a bit flakey (I used this for the last 6 years 24/7/365).  I have also tried it with a Belkin N600DB which synced at a similar speed to the ASUS.  I have another half dozen or so routers (Netgear DG834G, 2Wire 2700HGV, several home hubs and an old Linksys BEFDSR41W, just in case!) and don't see the point in trying them all, it would probably confuse the exchnage and serve me up an SNR increase, which does seem to be settling down.  I'll wait the 72 hours before deciding whether to throw any more routers at it!
Thanks,
Greg
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Oh well, if that's a new NTE5a and faceplate it should be Ok, just check the contacts are in line, and then just check your wiring connections to the faceplate and the wiring at the extension socket. Remember the Disconnect method first, and also do the "cleaning" with your filter and its sockets.
There's no way the Target SNRM could have got lowered to 3dB "by mistake", DLM doesn't do that sort of thing and put it straight up again.. It may have gone down that low as a result of an increase in noise - remember more noise, less margin. See how it goes anyway.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I got the same too using ADSLNation faceplate fitted with ADSLNation pro cable 1 metre from socket to router.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I noticed the fault ticket's been cloesd austinsom but let us know if you need any further help.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
austinsom
Grafter

I'm not quite sure why the ticket has been closed.  As far as I'm concerned it an ongoing matter.  I was advised to leave the router alone for a time after the engineer visit, which I did.  I updated the ticket saying there still appeared to be some problems.  Another ticket is open for a possible line noise issue.  I am disappointed the ticket was closed without a resolution and the fact the issues I am having have not been resolved after 1 month have been a significant factor in my MAC request this afternoon.  I would be happy to stay if the issues are resolved, so the clock has started.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I should have said the ticket was passed back to you sorry for any confusion. We're not trying to assert that the fault has been resolved when it hasn't you should have another response to ticket 66319482 ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Just FYI everyone, if you ever find a ticket closed whether it be accidental or any other reason, one of the quickest things to do is open another.
Summarise the problem area in which it falls and any appropriate update and reference the previous ticket by it's number.
austinsom
Grafter

OR engineer visited this morning and spent about an hour checking the line.  He seemed to think the cause of all the errors and drops on my line was a result of the ADSL nation faceplate that was installed to help broadband speed.  This was not causing any problems following installation.  The problems started sometime after the installation of the faceplate.
The engineer installed a new vDSL faceplate and seemed to think this solved the problem - his machine returned no errors, although it did fail a pair test once, which it passed the second time it was run.  Shortly after he left, my router lost sync again (now plugged straight into the new vDSL socket).  It has not lost sync since, but is now throwing up errors and the SNR is starting to fall quite quickly.  It does look as though it will drop sync soon, leading me to think there may be a problem with the exchange equipment.  I will post this on my ticket too.  I don't think the old socket was faulty, and the new one doesn't seem to have cleared up the errors I was getting before - hopefully this can be sorted soon as everytime I lose sync I lose speed, although it has gone up a bit in the new faceplate  Cheesy
Router stats as of right now:
Update Counter : 16221
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 1433306
Lan Rx : 774576
ADSL Tx : 555557
ADSL Rx : 900577
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 255
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 34494
HEC Down : 6200
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 4.9
SNR Down : 3.7
Line Attenuation Up : 17.4
Line Attenuation Down : 30.0
Data Rate Up : 1076
Data Rate Down : 15218
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: austinsom
..........although it did fail a pair test once.........

In light of that I'm not sure why you think there may be an exchange fault. That and the other symptoms you are describing are typical of an intermittent line fault. When the engineer had that failure he should have put his JDSU away and got his Hawk tester out and started looking.
You will need to be a bit OCD listening to your phone line for crackling noises etc.
Even if there's nothing wrong with either faceplate, I'd stick with the vDSLplate as it is a quality filter.
austinsom
Grafter

@ Anotherone - Thanks for that.  My reason for thinking it could be an exchnage issue is that the engineer mentioned it whilst he was here.  However, since the weekend, I am seeing a huge increase in errors on the router log and the line is starting to drop again.  The SNR margin is also all over the place.  It should be holding at 6dB, but at the moment it is below 3dB.
@ Plusnet - I am VERY disappointed to find that both of my tickets regarding this fault have been closed, even though I replied to one of them stating that there was still a fault due to the line dropping and a large number of errors and unstable SNR margin.  Am I really going to have to go through all of this again and try to explain this from the beginning.  I am really angry as it does not appear that anyone actually bothered to look at the ticket before closing it.  I am sure I will get the 'it was closed by the supplier' brush off, but really some one should have looked at it first.  I would therefore request that both tickets are re-opened immediately so that this ongoing fault can be identified and fixed as it is absolutely ridiculous that after a month I am still having problems.  I am still getting a constant hiss on the voice line (DECT 'phone) that seems to have gotten slightly worse as the errors on the broadband have increased, although this may be psychological. 
So I am disappointed that my tickets have been closed, and I would ask one of the Plusnet staff to look into this for me before I open yet another fault as I really don' want to have to start back at the beginning.  I still have time on my MAC and it is now looking quite likely it will be used. Angry
Just for info, my router re-synced this morning at 6am, lost more sync speed and has the following stats as of right now:
Update Counter : 68777
Lan Tx : 12815953
Lan Rx : 7312906
ADSL Tx : 1656243
ADSL Rx : 2285932
CRC Up : 4662
FEC Up : 50741
HEC Down : 7397
HEC Up : 04
SNR Up : 5.3
SNR Down : 3.0
Line Attenuation Up : 17.5
Data Rate Up : 1067
Data Rate Down : 14009
and my TBB graph shows a couple of disconnects by the looks of it...

I will also be raising this as a complaint - enough is enough  Angry
austinsom
Grafter

In just over an hour my CRC errors upstream have increased by almost 1000, and that's whilst hardly using the connection - something is clearly very wrong.  It is windy tonight, maybe that isn't helping.  I have a new socket, the router is plugged directly into the faceplate (it's a vDSL unit).  Router is new.  The fault is clearly in the network outside my property - just wish someone would get it fixed - 6 weeks is a complete joke  Angry
Update Counter : 70108
Lan Tx : 13007255
Lan Rx : 7418690
ADSL Tx : 1756370
ADSL Rx : 2457269
CRC Up : 5652
FEC Up : 62035
HEC Down : 8617
HEC Up : 04
SNR Up : 5.3
SNR Down : 3.3
Line Attenuation Up : 17.5
Data Rate Up : 1067
Data Rate Down : 14009
I'm willing to put money on the connection dropping overnight/early tomorrow AM as the stats are looking very poor.  I want a response to this and some action tomorrow.  PM/'phone me to make an engineer appointment - you have the details...
Anotherone
Champion

Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Edit: You don't have to explain everything again if it was in a previous ticket - look through you closed tickets to find the relevant one and reference it in the new ticket with whatever additional information is relevant. Unfortunately tickets are automatically closed by the system if there is no activity on the ticket for more than 14 days.
Edit2: In any event, BTw will have closed off the previous fault at their end, not that it matters because Plusnet just raise another.
Intermittent faults are difficult to find at the best of times and it's not Plusnet's fault that Openreach haven't managed to find the cause yet.
austinsom
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.  No I hear no crackling/popping or noises of that nature.  I just have a steady hiss which both BTO guys jave said is due to it being DECT.  I'll get hold of a corded 'phone and try that.  However, it is entirely possible it is nothing to do with the voice side of things and this is getting way too much focus.  No-one seems to want to investigate the BB side of things.  One engineer mentioned that it could be equipment in the exchnage and said if I continued to experience problems they could look at that as a possibility. 
I will open another ticket - but I still want a member of PN staff to look at this ticket and explain what on Earth is going on and why this has taken 6 weeks, 2 tickets and no resolution.
I appreciate that iit is BTw who closed the fault, but I do not pay my money to BT.  I have a contract with PN, so I expect them to fix/resolve any faults before closing them.  PN then have a contract with BTw, so if a fault is closed before it is fixed they should be all over BTw like a cheap suit - I shouldn't have to keep checking to make sure something remains open when I am adding to it.
I now think it is a exchange/ exchnage to premises issue as there is nothing left to change on my side of the wall!
Anotherone
Champion

The thing about this sort of "difficult to locate" problem and the ticket system, is that it does need the user to keep the ticket alive for Plusnet to chase BTw. Whether BTw close a fault their end because they think the problem is resolved is largely irrelevant.
Post the new ticket number when you've got it and hopefully a DCT member will pick it up.