cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Reset

austinsom
Grafter

Re: SNR Reset

Thanks Jaggies - I called the help desk, but was told that it was best not to perform an SNR reset as this might interfere with another process that may be going on.  So it appears the SNR reset did not work, but interestingly I was told by the advisor on the 'phone that my line is now operating below the fault threshold so there may actually be a problem with the line!  I think it is more than likely just needing an SNR reset, as fater multiple disconnections in a 20 or so minute period, the SNR went up considerably.  However my router has so far achieved nearly 4 1/2 days uptime without any recorded drops my end, so stability is not a problem.  I'm not quite sure what to do now as I have two different pieces of info, both from Plusnet.  My ticket has been updated and I would appreciate some sort of response Monday as this is getting really rather frustrating now.
Thanks,
Greg
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
Since the SNR reset, your fault threshold rate has increased but your speeds haven't. If you could run through the checks at http://faults.plus.net I'll get this picked up and actioned for you.
austinsom
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Thanks for that.  I have now raised a fault (ticket: 66319482).  I think perhaps I may have a slightly noisey line - I thought it was normal to have a slight hiss when using a DECT 'phone, but I have acquired an old corded analogue 'phone and there is still some hiss on that, so perhaps the two are linked.  Incidentally, I called the help desk at lunchtime and was advised to reboot my router after the IP profile was given a sharp kick up to 15Mb.  It seems some sort of SNR reset may have taken effect as the router is reporting the following now:
Update Counter : 1718
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 6448223
Lan Rx : 3662233
ADSL Tx : 78624
ADSL Rx : 120481
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 154
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 581
HEC Down : 714
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 6.4
SNR Down : 2.0
Line Attenuation Up : 17.5
Line Attenuation Down : 31.0
Data Rate Up : 1063
Data Rate Down : 15542
The speed seems to be alot better, but there appear to be quite a few errors (uptime since reboots 1hr 30), although this isn't effecting browsing or downloads.  Not sure why, if there was an SNR reset performed, why it wouldn't have updated without a manual reboot?
I've also taken the liberty of attaching a BT Wholesale speedtest result.
Thanks again for your help - hopefully if I do have a noisy line this will help put it to bed!
Many thanks,
Greg
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just run a few tests and it's not initially locating a fault for noise on your line although this can sometimes be more difficult to detect. If you can hear noise on your line then there is a good chance that this will effect your broadband.
Your ticket has been updated.
austinsom
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly - ticket updated with the requested details  Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, that's booked in for you on the 4th, I've updated your ticket. Let me know how you get on.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I was looking forward to the updated stats  Huh
austinsom
Grafter

Time for an update:
The OR engineer has just left and completed tests on the voice line and has told me that all is working as it should be.  He had a quick look at the extension wiring, which appears to have been a BT install (there is a little brown BT box on the wall where the main feed is split for the extensions) and suggested that, as my router is plugged into an extension, that would benefit from being the master.
As per his suggestion, I am also trying to plug my router stright into the test socket to see if I get any more speed.  Given the number of disconnections that happened during the visit, the opposite is true, I now have less speed, and guess what, my SNR has shot up again - oh the joy!
So to cut a long story short, the voice line is fine, and it seems that all along all I needed was an SNR reset.  Although my master socket could be better sited, I am sure this wouldn't get me an extra 3-4Mb.  The wiring is all decent quality and appears, as said, to be a BT install, although it is a little odd, a point the engineer couldn't help but agree with.  So where do we go now?  I have lost speed again and the voice side of things at least is OK.  Sadly I can't site my router by the master socket as I wire up a shared printer and storage to it.
Latest stats following the visit, with router plugged directly into the test socket:
Update Counter : 32
Lan Tx : 4594
Lan Rx : 3278
ADSL Tx : 366
ADSL Rx : 354
CRC Up : 0
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 0
SNR Up : 5.9
SNR Down : 7.6
Line Attenuation Up : 17.6
Data Rate Up : 1071
Data Rate Down : 11676

Prior to visit, plugged into filtered plate on extension:
Update Counter : 1718
Lan Tx : 6448223
Lan Rx : 3662233
ADSL Tx : 78624
ADSL Rx : 120481
CRC Up : 154
FEC Up : 581
HEC Down : 714
SNR Up : 6.4
SNR Down : 2.0
Data Rate Up : 1063
Data Rate Down : 15542
Therefore, as the voice side is all OK, could I be reset to an SNR of 6dB, and yes there have been alot of disconnections, but I had an OR engineer here, and it should all be OK - although I will be moving my router later today as I can't use my printer now!  If someone tells me they can't reset my SNR due to the disconnections, I will bite!  Angry
Anotherone
Champion

Your current SNRM is 7.6dB so it's possible that the engineer has already reset the Target to 6dB and you also appear to be on Fastpath which you weren't before. I'd suggest you do a daytime resync by logging into the modem/router, dropping the PPPoA Internet session, then powering down and staying off for about 10 minutes before powering back up again. Move whatever you want to move around, swap sockets etc during that minimum 10 minutes. You may need to log in to the modem/router again after you've powered up and Click Connect to re-establish` the PPP session.
Edit: as far as the wiring goes, as long as that's a more recent NTE5a, ie. it says Openreach on it, not the one with the BT logo and Piper, then there's likely to be little to gain from disconnecting the bell wire, if it's currently connected.
austinsom
Grafter

@ Anotherone - Thanks for the info.  I moved the router and did a re-sync around lunctime, and initially things looked good.  I'd also agree that I don't think my wiring is the issue seeing as I get virtually the same speeds at the test socket, or in my study.  I'm not concerned about that.
I do however seem to have developed a problem.  The SNR margin now starts to drop below 6dB and keeps falling until the router is unable to hold sync and drops the connection.  It did this about half 6 this evening having been reconnected at about 1315 this afternoon.  At the moment it is holding 6dB on the upstream and has dropped to 4dB on the downstream (Which in iteself doesn't seem right, as the upstreeam margin is usually around double the down?).  I'm not sure what is causing this, but it is getting annoying as I never know what speed internet connection I am going to have - it is up and down like a yo-yo!
Current router stats:

Update Counter : 6957
Lan Tx : 350720
Lan Rx : 221454
ADSL Tx : 4376
ADSL Rx : 448602
CRC Up : 107
FEC Up : 304
HEC Down : 204
SNR Up : 6.0
SNR Down : 4.0
Data Rate Up : 1067
Data Rate Down : 14092
I'm think this is purely a broadband issue, but I am not sure what is causing it and would appreciate a staff member responding to either this post, or either of the tickets I have open as I am sure I did not have this problem with my previous provider.  It could just be coincidence though.
Thanks,
Anotherone
Champion

Can you hear any audible noise on the phone line at the moment?
austinsom
Grafter

It's the same as it was when the engineer was here earlier and all tests then were green and ok.  Just done a quiet line test and that seems normal.
It's a shame that I didn't have any updates on my tickets today, as I was expectaing an update following the visit...
Thanks for you help anotherone.  I think this might be a futile exercise and am now on the verge of picking up the 'phone and requesting a MAC.
Anotherone
Champion

This has nothing to do with Plusnet or any supplier come to that. They can't influence your line like this. There has to be a fault somewhere still. And whoever you were to move to, you would take the fault with you, and OpenRetch are still responsible for the maintenance and repair whoever the ISP/CP - unless you go to Virgin Cable  Shocked
As you've had your front plate off to connect to the test socket, it may be worth checking you're wiring etc. If you do it tonight you may get a lower sync speed than now, but as you had a resync at 6.30pm it may end up much the same.
But whenever, drop your PPP and the power down as advised previously.
When you remove the front plate, check the wiring to your extension is secure and fully home in the IDC connectors. Don't be tempted to poke a screwdriver into the jaws of the terminal as this could open them up, but if you haven't got an IDC tool and the wires need pushing down you could try pushing either side of the jaws with a suitable size implement - may be a small screwdriver. Check the same at your socket end.
Have a look in the test socket aperture and you will see 4 springy contacts. Make sure they all look straight and angled down about 30-40°.
Put the faceplate on and off a few times (without the screws) this will help clean any slight corrosion on the connections.
Do the same with your filter to socket and modem/router connectors to filter and modem/router.
Re-assemble everything, connect up, power up, login and click Connect if needed and see what the stats are and if things remain more stable.
Edit: just read your post on the latency thread, if you are getting loads of errors due to whatever's upsetting your SNRM, that'll mess up throughput somewhat as well.
austinsom
Grafter

Thanks anotherone, I'll try that tomorrow as I've had enough of faffing about with the router, faceplates, filters and running speedtests etc. for the day!
Anotherone
Champion

Don't blame you, see my edit above.
Edit::(again)  If checking wiring etc has no effect, maybe Plusnet could run a copper line test tomorrow to see if there's any obvious issue. Damned intermittent faults can be a real pain to find - the engineer's nightmare  Lips_are_sealed
Oh, I take it the bell wire isn't connected?