SNR Reset

Hi there,
Could I request a SNR reset please.
These are the current stats from the router. IP profile is set to 5 mbps
ADSL Link                    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed 5888 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 39.4 dB 20.0 dB
Noise Margin 13.9 dB 27.0 dB
Last year after having a SNR reset I got the following stats with a IP profile set at 6.5 mbps.
ADSL Link                    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    8128 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation            39 db    10.5 db
Noise Margin            3 db    24 db
19 REPLIES 19
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: SNR Reset

Before getting this done for you, any ideas what's causing your SNR to get so high? Any sources of interference you can think of? Anything electrical near your router that might be causing disconnections?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Have you made any changes - removed extension wiring / moved the router to the master socket / changed filters - which would result in a permanent improvement?  If yes, then a SNRM rest could be useful.
If not, then seeing the variation of your SNRM during the whole of the day / night might assist in identifying sources of interference.  RouterStats is useful for this as it will monitor and plot your SNRM 24x7.  Any significant variation of SNRM will help profile the problem.
If there is still intermittent noise around, a SNRM will not help you.  Though at the initial reset you might get more speed, as soon as the noise occurs, you'll get a lower speed resynch at the target SNRM.  When the noise vanishes, you'll see the SNRM drift up again.
@Chris, given the way you phrased the question, would I be correct in guessing that the target SNRM on the line is 12dB?  If yes this would suggest sustained issues on the circuit.  Is there merit in saving doing  a line test performed, via http://faults.pls.net ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I was at home at the time of posting, so it was more, asking a few questions until I'm in the office this morning so I can take a look at the line in more detail Smiley
I didn't want to complete an SNR Reset for the SNR to then jump straight back up to 15db. The SNRt is targeted at 15db so something has forced it that way up.
I'll await a response from OP in the first instance though. I've attached some graphs for you to take a look at should you want to.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Chris,
Are these graphs a new tool?  I've only seen them on threads I'm commenting on... Wink
If these are going to be used generally, it would be useful to have access to an explanation guide please.  I am able to make a reasonable guess at what much of it means, but by no means all of it.  I guess that there is significance in the colouring, but I'm not sure that all which is not green is of concern!
If this is a new PN tool, is there any possibility of / merit in adding TARGET SNRM as this would indicate DLM activity, as opposed to actual SNRM which just shows variability, possibly only due to MW interference.
Cheers,
Kevin
PS: yup some people do not realise just how dedicated many at PN towers are towards helping customers - numerous staff spend break / lunch / own time in the forums giving help and advice.  Who said PN does not care about their customers?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not a new tool as such, but when I get some time free over the coming weeks, I'll write a guide up for everyone Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
You're fast today - you replied whilst I was re-editing the post - please see the update too!
Kevin

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks very much Smiley
Well I try to make things easier for our customers and provide them the best possible service - time can be an issue sometimes but we get there in the end.
hedkandi
Grafter

The router is plugged directly into the master socket and I have no extension wiring. I think I have some spare micro filters so will try changing it but the one I am using is a new one last year. The only things next to the router are the phone and a electrical extension socket which they plug into.
The last reset of the router was because I had to turn off the mains for some electrical work to be done. Is there anything else which could be causing interference ?
hedkandi
Grafter

My connection has been up for 74 hours now so I think it is stable and any disconnections have been because of the mains power being turned off which has been unavoidable. So is there anything else which could be causing the high SNR? will the connection automatically lower this and increase the speed once it realises it is stable?
Need to get this sorted, Netflix has been freezing often recently and is especially bad today which could be related to this.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Can you please post a full set of router stas, to include synch rate, SNRM, attenuation and error counts.
Still need to understand why the SNRM si so high - most likey cause is line nose.  Have you done a quiet line test - dial 17079 select option 2.

hedkandi
Grafter

System Up Time 74:49:58
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 8539768 12830200 0 2627 15502 74:49:14
LAN 10M/100M 12852043 8563080 0 240 2672 74:49:45
WLAN 11M/54M/150M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5888 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 39.4 dB 20.0 dB
Noise Margin 14.8 dB 27.0 dB

Are those all the stats you need ? couldn't see any others. Sorry they are not that clear, if I try and align them better it just gets worse when I preview the message.
hedkandi
Grafter

That number said it is not recognized. 
hedkandi
Grafter

Just did a quiet line test and it is quiet, no interference or anything.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: hedkandi
That number said it is not recognized.  

Sorry typo, should have been 17070 option 2.
Would be nice to see HEC / FEC / CRC errors, but I suspect your router does not show these in the web UI.
Unless Chris (DCT) can find a reason not to, I think from here a SNRM reset should be tried - it might deliver what you want, if not it confirms that there is an issue which needs investigation with BTOR.