Did you mean: 

SNR Reset please

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: SNR Reset please

Jelv,
I could not agree more - I'd kill for 14+Mbps of data transfer speed.  At present I've got 6.4Mbps synch speed which is the best I have (on my own services) ever seen / experienced, however I do have the joys of living in a rural area as compensation!
However if I did not have to get up early in the morning to go do a day's work, may be I might find not being able to kill people on my Xbox at two-in-the-morning a bit of a chore...  Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sully666
Grafter

Can moderators please lock this thread as it appears unless you tow the party line and DON'T complain you get patronising comments.
Always thought we had free speech to express disappointment in this country. Appears not  Undecided
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sully,
Free speech is something which all have a right to.  Sometimes it seems that some people believe that only they are entitled to say what they want and others are expected to remain mute.  I am sure that you did not mean to suggest that you can say what you want and that anyone who puts a different perspective on matters is wrong and has no equal right to express their perspective too.
Like it or not, your line is working within specification, though I would also agree may be not at the best it could achieve.  You have been offered a lot of advice (by myself amongst others) on monitoring the (potential) problem on your line using routerstats but you seem to be disinclined to use the PN supplied router (which works well with RS) long enough to gather information which might explain why IIRC such a short line has a relative high SNRM.
To progress this issue requires the gathering of the right and enough diagnostics which informs better about the problem.  Only you can decide what priority you place on that as opposed to any (short-term) limitation that might impose on your (son's) overall enjoyment of the BB services.  Whatever, note that wherever you might go (or not go) with this issue, it does appear to be line (or environment) related and until such diagnostics can be gathered, it is not going to be resolved by PN or any other ISP using the same BT wires.
If you do still want to progress this issue, then reinstall the PN supplied router, gather the routerstats diagnostics and accept that the wifi range might be a little limited until the speed issue is resolved.  Otherwise as you have (understandably stated) this issue is going nowhere... and indeed others would love to be enjoying the level of BB service you are receiving.
I agree - you are right about this thread going nowhere.  May be starting a new one which simply describes the problem, has relevant up-to-date ROUTER stats (data speed reports are not helpful here) using a router which works with routerstats is the right way to go.  This approach would verify if you are getting the right synch speed for your line's attenuation (at whatever SNRM) and allow you to identify any significant SNRM variation which forces the target SNRM to be higher than 6dB.
Good luck.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sully666
Grafter

It isn't just the wifi that is the issue with swapping back to the PN supplied router.  It is the setting up of other stuff connected to it, like the wifi printer etc. Also need to find time to do it when my son isn't doing college work or on his xbox which corresponds with a time I am not busy or at work myself (Gym sessions to help with my weight loss take up 8 hours a week at least)
Issues with inconsiderate, cannabis smoking neighbours, do not help my disposition either.  I have 2 days off next week where I should be able to fit in doing everything (Unless SWMBO has other ideas)  Grin
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sully,
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate at present.  Experience tells me that if improvement is to be attained with your line, it will take time and patience.  My gut tells me that you are experiencing line noise which is pushing your target SNRM higher than it needs to be.  This can only be proved (by you) through collecting 24x7 SNRM measurement through a tool such as RouterStats.  I know this works reasonably well with the tg582n  supplied by PN.  There might be other tools available which will provide the same information from your preferred router.
As for the anti-social behaviour of your neighbours, the police should be able to deal with that - you don't even have to tell them who you are - just phone crime stoppers, they are bearing the law, especially if you suspect they are dealing or growing the stuff.
As for SWMBO just ask her if she's happy with the bb as it is or would she like you to fix it for her.  Worked with mine!  Cheesy

sully666
Grafter

From the weekend of testing I did with the TG582, I did notice that while the downstream SNR was rock solid, but the upstream was variable between 5.6 and 6.5.