cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Reset please

sully666
Grafter

SNR Reset please

Came home from work today to find speed had dropped.

Checked Router and SNR is now 9
Ping is down to almost 40!!
Can SNR be set back to 6 please?
200 REPLIES 200
AndyH
Grafter

Re: SNR Reset please

You've had a lot of SNR resets and the same re-occuring pattern happens. I think someone should look into why as resetting the SNR is not the answer.
sully666
Grafter

Appeared to be a big spike of lost packets at about 10am this morning, then minimum latency went up.
Nothing has changed at my end, and the line is as clear as a bell.
I would be very happy if something could be done, but I am not going to hold my breath that it will be Plusnet, as I feel they don't care once your are a customer.
AndyH
Grafter

What's you wiring like to your master socket? Could you remove the front plate of your master socket and take a pic?
sully666
Grafter

Had a look at that when I had stuff  plugged into Test Socket and Line Engineer was happy with it when he looked.
AndyH
Grafter

Can you try this software http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm ? This should monitor your noise margin and it might shed some light on your problem.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: sully666
I am not going to hold my breath that it will be Plusnet, as I feel they don't care once your are a customer.

Sully666,
In my experience nothing could be further from the truth, the problem is that sometimes fault conditions can be hard to fix, especially if they are intermitant, which is looks like yours might be.  The problem is a BTOR engineer can fix something which is not showing how it is broken when they visit.  Noise on lines from bad / correded joints are such issues which are hard to locate... unless the engineer checks every cable joint.
I have worked through such a difficult issue with PN over 7 long months (Nov 2012 to June 2013) with some 18 or so BTOR visits.  I started with a line which would often struggle to do 2.5Mbps which now delivers solid 5.5Mbs (and on good days even better).  My local BTOR infrastructure is well past its best before date - the challenge is to convince BTOR not simply to find a line that works, but to find the very best line out of a bad bunch.
It is not a mater of not caring, but more one of being able to see the problem that you experience from time to time (which is degrading your service) on the occasion of the BTOR visit.  This is the kind of situation that benefits from constant 24x7 RouterStats monitoring.  I have found it so very useful that I have continious stats for virtually the whole of 2013.  There is nothing quite like your own set of stats to shove under the nose of a BTOR engineer to show them the real problem.  When I used mine to prove that passing WCML Virgin trains screw with my SNRM there were gob-smacked!
Detailed data I think will help to better profile your problem.
We are here to help...
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

sully666, that weirdo u only getting 13Meg throughput speed on your downstream line attenuation which it very good at 11dB. Mine is downstream line attenuation at 30.5dB but my speed throughput is 15Meg with snr of 3dB. I can see your stats max rate 23108Kbps and your sync at 15349Kbps with snr of 9dB.
U probably had unstable line due to DLM. Also beware of Plusnet DLM at the exchange start off with higher sync and the DLM keep increasing snr and lower your sync rate which it very bad indeed. Sky and other isp's recommend DLM to start with lower sync at 2Meg and let the DLM lower SNR over the couple of days to try target snr 3 and it work pretty well with higher sync rate.
Any SNR reset will cause it much worsen exspecially DLM.
sully666
Grafter

Have downloaded and looked at Routerstats but for some reason my router is only showing zeros on the stats page I get from the url. I have sent Source A and Source B text files to John Owen in the hope he can find the text I need to put  in to get stats out.
Feeling really disappointed and let down at the moment  Cry
AndyH
Grafter

Which router do you have? I believe you can use the Router Stats with a Technicolor router.
The problem for PN/Openreach here is your problem is unlikely to be anything simple. By using the router stats, we can see if there are any specific periods or times when your SNR is increasing. The more technical information that can be gathered, the more chance there is of finding a solution.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Could be your SNR spikes cause your line resync itself. U need a routerstats to monitor Noise Margin for 24/7 to see if there is any massive SNR spikes. Here is example of noise margin monitor on my picture that showed a massive spike between 11:11am and 11:16am with snr drop from 2.9dB to low 1.1dB but that didn't mean loss of sync connection itself.
sully666
Grafter

I had a reply from John Owen, and it appears I will not be able to use Routerstats with my TP-Link modem.
I am loath to reconnect the 582n because of its dire wifi performance.
Are than any other ways to gather the necessary stats?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Try this one: http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/index.html
It support your router Thomson/Technicolor
TG582N
Yes
Uses custom CLI
sully666
Grafter

As I said I am loath to reconnect the 582n because of its dire wifi performance.
Is there anything that will work with a TP-Link TD-W8968?
sully666
Grafter