cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Reset and long dodgy rural lines

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Re: SNR Reset and long dodgy rural lines

Nope, I'm on 21CN/ADSL2+ now. When I first reported having problems I was advised to wait as I was provisioned to be moved over to 21, and if the problem was exchange-side, that may well have been a cure.
Just ran BT speedtest, and still..
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.94 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.01 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.6 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.6Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Current stats from this side, Sync 2159. SNR 6.4, fast path, Max Rate 2920
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

At that sync speed your profile should be 1.9Mbps - I suspect that the profile on the line has not been updated from your change to 21CN - not unknown.
Looks like this needs a DCT ream out - seen it before!

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Yup, that kind of speed is what I was hoping for, and fingers crossed it might be nudged up a little higher once BT have finished with their plan of replacing drop and a new master socket.
Anyway. Things looked stable enough overnight, no drops, a few errored seconds but nothing severe like I've been used to. So far, so good for now.
But, I'm still profiled at 1mb.  Any chance one of you DCT folks could cast the runes and wave your magic wand over that please? Smiley
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning folks,
Looks like there was a delayed delta report back from BT that nudged the profile back down to 1mbps around 45 minutes after we nudged it up so I've altered this again and it should now be sat back at 1900mbps.
Let us know how you get on with the OR work  Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Uncle_Meat

Just ran BT speedtest, and still..
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.94 Mbps

Adam,
Have things updated at BTOR's end?  If not that will still act as the bottleneck and the PN profile being greater than the BT profile will cause other issues.
Did the update drop the PPP session?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Evening all.  Still no different I'm afraid. No change when I came home from work and according to Routerstats things have been stable throughout the day, albeit with a slightly reduced SNR of 5.5
So, I rebooted the router which lost me a few kbps in sync speed, currently 2011kbps with SNR of 6.2 and still fast path. Tis a "noisy" part of the day around now, no doubt I can claw that back by resyncing things at another time.  Anyway... Another speedtest and I'm still profiled at 1Mb, but with a download speed slightly higher than the profile suggests?

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1.11 Mbps

0 Mbps 1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.11 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.64 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.64Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I reiterate - the BT profile has not budged.

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

*ding ding ding*  We have a winner!
Just checked Connection Settings on the PN website which suggests 1.7Mbps, but according to BT speedtest I'm still profiled to 1.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning all,
Sorry for the continued issues with the speed Uncle_Meat, I was hoping that this would shift of its own accord but upon further inspection (and a little digging) it seems that the BRAS and DSLAM profiles are misaligned. Normally we have to raise a fault for this and wait the 48-72 hours but we managed to sweet talk one of the BTW agents into giving it a nudge.
He assures me it should only take up to 2 hours to line back up so hopefully we will see the speed creep back up between now and then! On the flip side we would need to raise this as a new fault if this request doesn't work so....fingers crossed!
I'll keep an eye on it over the course of the day but if you notice any change in the speed then please let us know and I'll run another fault check and get the profile matched.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Cheers for that!
I'm in work all day so won't get a chance to test it until I get home later tonight, but hopefully that'll do the trick.
To be fair, it's quite usable compared to how it's been over the last few months so no need to put yourself out on my behalf, after all when BT get around to replacing the wiring they may well upset it all over again! Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Adam,
I've noted this issue on a number of threads over the last couple of months.  Does anyone have insight to how / why this is happening?
Is the digging on this issue difficult?  Is there merit in adding it as a standard to the diagnostic check list?
Kevin

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Afternoon all,
@Uncle_Meat - More than two hours on and the request doesn't seem to have cleared the issue Undecided  Another full faults check still shows the mismatch so it looks as though I'm going to need to raise this as a fault for you. I suppose the silver lining is that this should be a remote fix so no need for arranging time off or holiday for an engineer visit.
I'll drop you some detail in a support ticket on your account so that we can track the details, progress and outcome of the fault. You should see this appear on your account within the next 15-20 minutes.

@Townman - From what I understand, this wasn't something that was apparent in our faults testing prior to the phone fault being fixed so while it could be linked to the phone fault we couldn't say this for sure. At present it just seems to be a failure in the BT system that manages the synchronisation of data between BRAS and DLAM. We have seen delays up to 24 hours for these to rectify themselves however we've now surpassed this window by a considerable amount of time since phone fault resolution hence the need to intervene.
Moving froward, the number of issues that relate directly back to this cause seem to be rare when looking at them against a snapshot of our entire ongoing fault base. As such I think we will just have to work at rectifying them on a 1:1 basis as and when we see them.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Morning all!
First, a question for support.
As part of my fault ticket update I've been asked for a time/date to arrange a visit from BTO.  Now, as before we're already expecting a visit to standardise the wiring from the drop to the master socket which was promised from an earlier visit. This has not happened yet, but apparently we were told it would be a "priority". So, would it be best waiting for that to happen and see how things go on from there?
Secondly, if this visit is already arranged, are there not any notes on the BTO system that this is imminent, and if so why request another visit via you guys? Do you have any visibility of jobs/orders on any particular line where BTO are concerned?  The reason I ask, is that is seems that where BT are concerned, for a communications company they sure don't seem to communicate with themselves! 
The first engineer came out, and promised a new pole and line, and then nothing happened from that. The second engineer came out in response to the aforementioned voice fault, said there was nothing on his notes about the first engineer visit about any work being scheduled but then did *something* to sort things out for now and then promised that there would be a third "priority" visit to finish things off, but nowt has happened since that until I had my request to book another visit.
Does all that make sense? Not had my first cuppa yet..  Smiley

Finally, the line still seems settled, long periods of uninterrupted connection, steady Attn and SNR, but still BT profiled to 1Mbps.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Any updates on this please?
As you can imagine I'm a bit reluctant to book an engineer if there is already one due to come out to finish off planned work following the voice fault.  It seems that BTO do not talk to each other about such things and the last thing I want is to have someone out who may well find no fault and therefore charge for the visit.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Morning all, quick update for what it's worth.
It seems I'm now on a 3db SNR, when I was home at the weekend I was syncing at a staggering 2700kbps or thereabouts, albeit with quite a few more errored seconds than I had been used to at 6db so I expect that to raise itself sooner rather than later. However, BT profile is still at 1Mbps.
I'm still waiting on this engineering visit from the line provider, so as yet still don't want to book an engineer visit from you guys but still.  Seeing as the line does seem to have stabilised somewhat regardless, is it worth trying to give BT a kick about this incorrect profile, and why would a stuck profile need a visit?
Cheers ears!