Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Of zero

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

SNR Of zero

What causes a zero figure; never seen before? CN21 long line.

4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 10:27:59
6. Data rate: 910 / 3419
7. Maximum data rate: 917 / 3228
8. Noise margin: 6.4 / 0.0
9. Line attenuation: 36.7 / 61.7
10. Signal attenuation: 36.3 / 57.2
9 REPLIES 9
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: SNR Of zero

Has it ever had a different value at all? Have a look in the event log and see if there are any figures there when sync was achieved.
If no and none, then buggy firmware (or deliberately blocked). There was a time when the HH5A did not give any figures when used on ADSL. I'm sure someone mentioned that more recent firmware remedied that. And in case you are now wondering about firmware updates, it's a case of be patient and it will happen when it happens if there is one!

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Happened to me once with a TP-Link router - not sure how it arises, but cured by a reboot!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

A zero SNRM could be correct if there is a lot of noise present.  Is the figure ALWAYS ZERO whenever you look?  If yes, then AO's buggy software is the likely answer, however if it is variable then there's a source of interference to be searched for! Buck2

A reboot of the router does not so much fix an issue such as this, but rather just masks the issue.  A resynch will always deliver the target SNRM - that might be at the expense of a slower synch speed.

For what its worth, I have seen routers report negative SNRM (up to -2dB which can be reported as a really big number) and still keep trucking.  I suspect that has been down to buggy software or an aberration of how the router has calculated the margin.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

The implication of Gel's post is that it's permanently on 0.0   I doubt very much that sync would be maintained with a varying value that was reaching 0.0 for periods of any duration long enough to capture such an image from the Helpdesk page.

On the basis of the other figures in the stats, it's highly improbable that there is any interference at all.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Some modems may get "stuck" in the sense that once the SNRM figure hits 0, goes negative or displays some really big number misrepresenting a negative number, then that will be the only figure they display until the DSL connection drops and re-connects.

A negative SNRM figure could also be correct if there's a lot of noise present.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

There were also some stats with a SNRM of 4.4 earlier: previous stats

Anotherone
Champion

Whilst there is absolutely nothing incorrect about what you've said, it is also highly improbable with the Hub One unless it's faulty which is a possibility.

Anotherone
Champion

To add further to the above, I'm not sure why Gel started a new thread when continuing the previous one would have been more sensible with all the relevant history in one place.

@ejs Do modems with Lantiq chipsets commonly report negative SNRMs whilst managing to hold the connection?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@Anotherone wrote:

@ejs Do modems with Lantiq chipsets commonly report negative SNRMs whilst managing to hold the connection?

I don't know, sorry.

In general though, if the SNRM is really zero or negative, the error rate is likely to be much higher than what it would be with a more normal SNRM, which could result in the Internet connection being somewhere between much slower than usual to completely unusable.

On the other hand, if the SNRM is displayed as zero, but the Internet connection seems completely fine and running at full speed, then it would look more like some bug with displaying the SNRM.