Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Margins

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

SNR Margins

My Binatone 500 modem's stats usually show a margin over 9dB. with the occasional dip just below. Because of a low synch event last evening my configured speed has dipped, and the margin is above 12dB. Often I've read that modem and routers can work successfully down to 6dB, and am wondering if I should ask for adjustment to be made. What are pros and cons fr an adjustment
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: SNR Margins

just try a resynch - if your default noise margin hasn't changed you will be back where you were.
If it has changed to 12dB best thing is to do a resynch when the noise margin is at it's highest then leave it alone for rthe BT systems to correct themselves automatically.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Oldjim
just try a resynch - if your default noise margin hasn't changed you will be back where you were.
If it has changed to 12dB best thing is to do a resynch when the noise margin is at it's highest then leave it alone for rthe BT systems to correct themselves automatically.
Thanks, I'll follow that. FMI, how is the margin set, does it make any difference if using modem or router, usb or ethernet ?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The default margin is set at the exchange by the BT automated systems.
Whether you have a router or modem makes no difference as all the system looks at is the stability and error rate perhaps (I think error rate comes into it but no one has actually confirmed it).
The only potential disadvantage with using a modem is it switches off and disconnects from the exchange when you switch off the computer whereas a router is always connected so is easier to control/monitor when using MaxDSL.