Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Margin varies & Line Speed static

cancunia
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

SNR Margin varies & Line Speed static

Sorry if this has been asked, hopefully it's not a totally daft question.

I'm seeing the SNR Margin on my line changing from 6 down to 3 or 4 then back to 6, but the line speed is staying exactly the same. If the margin decreases while the speed is constant, does this mean that the noise on the line is increasing and reducing the margin?

I'm quite happy with the speed btw, unless of course it drops!

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SNR Margin varies & Line Speed static

@cancunia wrote:

If the margin decreases while the speed is constant, does this mean that the noise on the line is increasing and reducing the margin?

Yes !

What you have described is how it is supposed to work.

A SNRM range of 6 down to 3 is likely to give you good and stable speeds, minimal errors, with infrequent disconnections on your ADSL line.

I wouldn't be too worried with SNRM down to 2, unless that coincided with frequent disconnections.

When I was on ADSL2+ my line was stable with an SNRM range of 0.9 down to 0.3 (typically 0.7) and would stay connected for weeks or months at a time, with near maximum speeds, no interleaving, and low errors.

And no, it wasn't a daft question.

cancunia
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply and info. My line will run with an SNRM of 2-3 for a few days without trouble but never much more than that so the trade off for a few kb/s vs stability is fine by me.

cancunia
Rising Star

Yr1EXKfLast night's SNRM graph. It's a bit different than the day before as it's a bit more stable. Interesting that I get more noise overnight.