cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Margin keeps getting bumped up..

mot
Grafter

SNR Margin keeps getting bumped up..

Last week it was 3.0db and holding nicely..getting 13mbit+ sync..then it rained so my line got a little damp and it got bumped up to 6.0db - not really a problem..
Last night my line re-synced and now it's at 9.0db - obviously my IP profile is suffering majorly due to this and now I'm only syncing at 10mbit -  I may as well go back to ADSL max with tiscali!
Can the SNR not be set to 3.0 permanently? My line is perfect at that margin and holds 24/7, it may drop a decibel at night but it is by now means detrimental - the DLM just seems to decide a re-sync is in order =\
Is there anyway to avoid these stupid increases by the DLM? I always drop a few deb at night when it's a little damp but all returns to normal come sunrise, the line is far from unstable.
Seems that DLM is causing PN alot of disgrutled customers..it's way too strict!
If this is always going to be the case, I'll pay my £40 and move to an LLU ISP with less strict line management..I've only been with PN for 6 weeks or so and I've been messed around with so many issues it's untrue, although they are very helpful, I feel I may be better off elsewhere.
3 REPLIES 3
itsme
Grafter

Re: SNR Margin keeps getting bumped up..

Quote from: mot

Last night my line re-synced and now it's at 9.0db - obviously my IP profile is suffering majorly due to this and now I'm only syncing at 10mbit -  I may as well go back to ADSL max with tiscali!

Tiscali! they have not been providing BB for several months now, do you mean TalkTalk?
ADSL max is only up to 8mbps with BT or LLU. LLU companies installed MSAN/ADSL2+ equipment hence the reason they could offer speeds greater than 8mbps before BT upgraded their equipment.
mot
Grafter

With my current sync speed I'm restricted to 8mbps because of BT's IP profile system - previously we were with tiscali (had been for 6 years or so) and always synced at 8124kbps. ADSL max would be cheaper and quicker for me right now.
I'm not debating ADSL flavours, it was more a passing of comment.
The moment o2 launch their home phone service I'll be off to them to avoid PN/BT's pants DLM.
mot
Grafter

Well guys, it's been a pleasure but after 6 weeks, I've requested my MAC - I'm off to o2..
PlusNet are plagued by problems because of BT, shame really as they're a pretty good ISP in every other aspect..I even enjoyed my chats with technical as they could tell I wasn't dumb and spoke to me appropriately Smiley
So, here's to no DLM and no IP profiles  Cheesy