Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Margin and the weather

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

SNR Margin and the weather

My SNR margin was reset last Tuesday by Adam (many thanks) to allow me to get back to a  downstream synch of 8128 - everything was good for ~ 4 days with the SNR holding at 7.3 +/- 0.3 dB as measured by Routerstats.
However yesterday it all went to pot ,firstly during thundery weather (understandable!) and then majorly overnight in the high winds when I experienced at least two reconnections as the SNRM danced around and dropped as  low as 1 db.
It has now appears to have settled down @ 8.3 SNRM with a synch of 8032
I don't have any overhead lines between my house and the exchange so why did I see so much noise on the line overnight (compared with previous nights)?
Surely underground lines shouldn't be affected by wind (flooding I can understand!!)
2 REPLIES 2
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: SNR Margin and the weather

Further to the above, my Routerstats graph of downstream SNRM appears to be an almost perfect record of the strength/blusteriness of the wind since Sunday afternoon!
I've walked my estate and there are no overhead lines, altho' there are in older parts of the "village". Is it possible /likely that the "green" cab. serving my phone line would be connected back to the exchange by overhead line,or are these always connected by underground cable?Huh
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: SNR Margin and the weather

Hi davidj60,
Is it possible /likely that the "green" cab. serving my phone line would be connected back to the exchange by overhead line

That's always a possibility. It could also be that the wind is forcing water into a joint somewhere. A tough one to diagnose really.
Jojo Smiley