Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SN margin reset request

skib10
Grafter

SN margin reset request

hi,

Over the past week or so my connection has become very unstable and i'm disconnecting daily. My connection is normally solid and didn't usually have disconnects for weeks at a time. I'm pretty certain this has started after being moved over to the new network and my 'sn margin' has dropped to between 2.8-3.0 down. Its currently sitting at 6.3/2.9.

I had this problem a few years back and resetting the sn margin fixed it pretty much instantly. I would like this to be reset back to 6.0/6.0 please. I currently have a ticket up #135758911 but i find things tend to go faster on this forum.

Could one of the support staff look into this and reset my snr margin please. thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: SN margin reset request

Hello there,

Sorry to hear your SNR margin has dropped down. I'll see what I can do you for tomorrow morning.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
skib10
Grafter

I would imagine having a snr margin around 3.0 is generally quite unstable anyway right?

Thanks Anoush.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

An SNR margin of 3db generally means your sync speed is high, but it can go one of two ways; provide you with a fast throughput whilst maintaining stability. In this scenario the line will be performing very well.

Or, 3db can cause throughput issues/an unstable connection if there is interference somewhere.

Raising the noise ratio to 6db would essentially increase the tolerance level to the interference.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If your target is too low one way to deal with it is too keep an eye on the margin and force a resync when it is at it's lowest (often during the evening) and then avoid any more resyncs. That might be enough to keep it between say 3 and 4.5 which may be enough.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I've submitted a DLM change now to move your SNR target from 3db to 6db. The router will re sync within the next 15 minutes.

skib10
Grafter

Thanks for changing the margin. Has my upload been capped at all? as its gone done to 440? Just talked to someone on the phone at your tech help and asked to have interleaving to be turned off as it looks like it was turned on automatically when the snr reset when through? Could you double check that the request went through to turn off interleaving as the guy on the phone wasn't quite clear enough.

thanks.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The upstream is capped at 448 kbps which explains why the upstream SNR margin is 32.5

I'll place a modify order now to remove the cap. It can take 1 working day to be processed.

skib10
Grafter

Thanks for helping sort this out anoush. Smiley

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problems. It's looking like an order to place interleaving on is progressing through the BTW so I'd need to wait til that completes tomorrow. You'll get your uncapped upstream speed by Friday.

As part of placing the order I'll also make sure that I set the threshold settings for the noise ratio are set correctly. This can occasionally help prevent the DLM from dropping the SNR margin down to 3db.

skib10
Grafter

To place interleaving on? I requested for it to be turned off earlier today. Is it being turned off or whats going on?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Ah, I can see that on your account. The order progressing with BT appears to have interleaving on still. Sad When that completes, I'll make sure the order I place tomorrow has interleaving turned off as well as the upstream uncapped and the stability settings set.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

skib10
Grafter

Great. thank you.

skib10
Grafter

This morning my snr margin has gone back down to 3.0, so now i have a higher ping with interleaving on and back to a unstable connection. When can I expect this to be fixed properly?

Why has my snr gone back down to 3 when it was set to 6? Will this new order for interleaving to be turned off, and my snr to go back to 6 again be sent through today?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Just to echo here what I replied to your PM with, I've placed the modify order today and should complete tomorrow. Smiley