Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP servers

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

SMTP servers

When travelling and using third party connections, it is difficult to use Outlook on strage ISPs because the Plusnet SMTP server is of course not accessible.  It is fine if you know the SMTP server of the ISP you are using, but still inconvenient to keep having to change it.
Is there any alternative way of sending outgoing mail under those circumstances.  Is there another port one can use or a way of accessing the Plusnet SMTP server directly ?
All I can ever do is to use webmail to send replies and then move my reply to my webmail inbox, download my reply using Outlook and finally file it under "Sent", which is a workaround, but a bit cumbersome.  I am looking ideally for a fix, not a workaround !
TVM.
14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: SMTP servers

Authenticate using your username (not username+mailbox) and account password and you can use the Plusnet servers from anywhere.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

As Jelv stated above SMTP authentication now work and have done for several months but PN has kept it quiet Smiley
shermans
Pro

Thanks for the advice.  It seems this should solve my problem but ......
What does "Authenticate using your username (not username+mailbox)" mean exactly ? 
Does this mean in Outlook under Tools>Services>Servers>Server Information, I enter "relay.plus.net" as usual, and then under Outgoing Mail Server tick the box which asks "My server requires authentication" ?
I hope so !
Thanks again.
paulby
Grafter

Does this mean in Outlook under Tools>Services>Servers>Server Information, I enter "relay.plus.net" as usual, and then under Outgoing Mail Server tick the box which asks "My server requires authentication" ?

Yes, but it also means that you have to enter the user name and password that you use to log into the member centre and NOT the username and password assosciated with any additional mailboxes you've set up on your account.  This applies regardless of the e-mail account you're sending from (i.e. relay.plus.net must always see your member centre credentials).
On the settings page for the outgoing server it's best to untick the box that says "use the same details as my incoming server" (or similar) and enter your username and password in the boxes provided.
Also DO NOT tick any boxes which say "Log in using secure password authentication (SPA)".
itsme
Grafter

Then tick 'Log on Using' and enter your username and password which you use to log on to PN portal.
shermans
Pro

Wow ! That was quick.  I wish it was always as easy to get sensible answers from, say, call centres.
That seems to be the solution and I will try it next time I am away.  To think I have been messing around changing the SMTP server to the third party ISP or using webmail all this time.  This will really make a big difference to me (especially when cruising around to hi-jack some unsuspecting stranger's unprotected WiFI connection in the middle of the night, running the risk of being apprehended for curb crawling  :-[).
Thanks very much indeed.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It will work when connected to PN IPs as well so you can try it now.
itsme
Grafter

Have PN open the authentication up to oversea IP addresses. Believe they put a block on these last year.
paulby
Grafter

The block was lifted last year too Smiley
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

That block was temporary while they investigated the breach of their mail systems and was actually a block on accessing webmail. The restriction was removed a few weeks after it was imposed after PN had revamped their security systems.
shermans
Pro

Would this apply also to FTP services ?  I have never been able to FTP to my PN website from abroad, and have always had to use international dial-up to FTP.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Only the ccgi FTP access is restricted (to PN IPs only). www/homepages FTP is accessible from any IP and always has been.
shermans
Pro

Ah, again you have me.  non comprendo !
I use ws_ftp95.ex which is the original ftp software which Plusnet recommended donkeys' years ago.  It serves my purposes although no doubt there are better ways to do it these days.  The server is shown simply as ftp.plus.net followed by my user name and ID.  This only works from my home connection, and when travelling, I always have to use dial-up to access it.
So what am I doing wrong.  How do I ftp to www/homepages ?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

ftp.plus.net is the FTP host to access your www/homepages webspace (www.username.plus.com)
I would try another FTP client, or even the built in DOS one as there is no restriction accessing ftp.plus.net.