cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Server timeouts

Walrus
Grafter

SMTP Server timeouts

Is it just me or is everyone's outbound email stuck due to SMTP server timeouts?
I looked at service status, but everything under email seems to imply there will be no customer impact.
4 REPLIES 4
theblisses
Grafter

Re: SMTP Server timeouts

Mine is OK.
Walrus
Grafter

Hmmm I've tried reconnecting to PN, still the same error
Task '<Mail Account> - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I'll give it a couple of hours then raise a ticket I think, nothing has changed at my end 😕
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Anti-virus/Security software are the likely culprits here. Try temporarily disabling any instances of these you have running to see if the problem still exists.
What email client are you using and what happens if you try and telnet to our SMTP server from a command prompt?
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\bpullen>telnet relay.plus.net 25
220 relay.plus.net ESMTP Exim Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:38:34 +0000

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Walrus
Grafter

Thanks Bob, but I'm still non the wiser.
I had been unable to send email all day, waited a while after my initial post, then raised a ticket.
Within minutes of a response on my ticket, to the same effect as your post, outbound email mysteriously fired into life again.
So problem solved..... but undiagnosed, I hate those ones!