Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLOWwwwwww.....

sbullough
Dabbler

SLOWwwwwww.....

Hi,
I've been using PlusNet for about 9years and have used a number of DSL lines in the process (probably about 4). However, after moving back into a house that I lived in about 4yrs ago, I have noticed serious degredation of service in my connection from when I was last here. In fact a serious degradation in the last 6months. When I first had PlusNet installed (which wasn't an easy task) I was getting around 5-6Mbps.
I logged an incident last week stating that my connection was at 2Mb, which is not good. However, I've checked tonight and my speed has dropped to 1.5Mbps. I was using this same line about 4yrs ago and had 5-6Mb then.
Now, it maybe me, but I reckon that with all the technological advancements in 4 years I nor anyone else should have to 'suffer' (and yes it can be painful) with a slower connection speed than I had 4yrs ago - on the same line. Now, I considered that the contention ration maybe higher, but no more houses have been built in the area, so probably no more 'new' or probably very few new connections this should not have a major affect on things. NowCable has recently been put into the area (oh yes!!!! Upto 50Mbps) and I am seriously considering moving over to the dark side (they do use dark fibre don't they???), on the basis that PlusNet QoS is so poor it can be unsuseable - no matter what time of day or night.
I am going on the information provided to me by my router. I'm not reliant on download speed of websites as these can be skewed by tinterweb traffic, internal LAN / Wireless, PC Config and any other nasties you may have running on your PC.
Is there a QoS area within the contract? Or is it a case that as PlusNet are part of BT, they are throttling back on bandwidth in order to serve their own BT customers, therefore users go over to their 'BT Broadband' to boost their customer. This could mean that there would be no PlusNet in the future - conspiracy theorists may comment  Cheesy
Hmmmm - Wonder what C&W re charging for a T1 these days????
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: SLOWwwwwww.....

Hi there,
Or is it a case that as PlusNet are part of BT, they are throttling back on bandwidth in order to serve their own BT customers

Certainly not the case, and if the speed you are seeing is taken from the router stats then that's actually the sync speed to the exchange and not any QoS we are applying. Let me run a quick line test so I can see what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The fact that you sync speed has dropped is nothing to do with Plusnet - it is all down to the wires between your house and the exchange or the wiring in your property.
Have you checked what the results are from the test socket
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looking at the results from a line test one of my colleagues performed, you're only syncing with the exchange at 2048, which is giving you an IP profile of 1750. This means that until you sync higher than 2048 for 3 days you won't see a higher throughput.
As Oldjim says, the best step is to try into the engineers socket, don't use any extension leads and use 1 filter. Once you've done that post up your line stats from your router.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sbullough
Dabbler

Will try it but....why would it have dropped from 5-6Mbps when I had it first installed to 1.5 now, when there have been NO changes to the internal infrastructure?
There have been no changes to the internal BT wiring or anything else for that matter - especially when it's dropped 0.5Mpbs since the weekend....
There have been no roadworks in my road, and I can't think of anything else that would affect the 'last mile'.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you live in the South it has rained heavily since the weekend - always messes up my error rate and noise margin
sbullough
Dabbler

Are PNet working of satelites??? Always affected by rain....depending on which band they're using....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Naah! - in my case it is the wires/connections which get wet  Sad