cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLOW SLOW slow, who stole the copper wire

DaveMcC
Grafter

SLOW SLOW slow, who stole the copper wire

Have just spent the best part off today uploading a short video clip "4min 13sec" to waste tube.............Starting uploading at 2pm give or take 15mins did not finish until 7pm  and what is more, no one else to use xbox or other computer as the upload hoged the entire line
Maybe some one stole the copper line that feeds the Internet,,, or maybe its your owner BT, once again trying to throttle back on user's to get more money out of them,, please come and use our fibre, it will cost you more but our fat cats need a £1million bonus
OH, the size of the up=load 198mb
This was for bbc Britain In a Day, wish I had never heard tell about it, its crap, bit like my video, I don't have a video camera nor a mobile phone
Dave
OH looked what happen
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: SLOW SLOW slow, who stole the copper wire

You're not trying to upload over a wireless connection to a Plusnet (Thomson) router by any chance?
matt_2k34
Grafter

Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message

That happens when you spend 'too long' writing your post (normally around 4/5 minutes..?)
There is one other user having slow upload speeds (Majority), might be worth looking how his issue gets on...
Whats your speed like? (Speedtest.net) will show the upload speed..
Regards
DaveMcC
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
You're not trying to upload over a wireless connection to a Plusnet (Thomson) router by any chance?

No, its a wired Netgear router, which is sitting on top of the computer plugged into the test socket, no long wires here
Dave
DaveMcC
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message

That happens when you spend 'too long' writing your post (normally around 4/5 minutes..?)
There is one other user having slow upload speeds (Majority), might be worth looking how his issue gets on...
Whats your speed like? (Speedtest.net) will show the upload speed..
Regards

That happens when you spend 'too long' writing your post (normally around 4/5 minutes..?), ? thought I only took about a min to write it.
Whats your speed like? (Speedtest.net) will show the upload speed.. You are hitting the nail on the head here, when I run my speed test, via more than 1 test site, which includes BT's own I get high test speeds
But when I was uploading to waste tube, we could not even open a same e-mail, took a very long time to even see what emails there was
As I write this and jump about from site to site, I am streaming down "DigitalRevCom's TV channel and at the same time running Ulster TV via zattoo web site, this is just to use up my 60gb allowance
Dave
Does that all make sence?
StuartUK35
Grafter

It wont to Matt.... he read too much PC advisor and now thinks he know's IT!
There are a few of us with issues, whether it be uloading or downloading... the same problem/issue affects us all....
Although the above thinks its the host issue, not PN, ffs!
Dave, your gonna have to bite the bullet, as i will be doing later when i get home, ie: call the support line, queue (kinda expected, cant fault that bit..), sit on your machine and ping a host and reboot your router, wait 72 hours, call back and do the same again before you can log it as a fault call, saying your not receiving the QoS as defined in the terms.....
matt_2k34
Grafter

he read too much PC advisor and now thinks he know's IT!

Clearly.  Roll_eyes Ignorance is bliss, no?  Undecided
I dont understand what your issue is Stuart, All i have tried to do is help you in your thread, but you are uninterested in what I have asked. See
@Dave
Just for clarification, the BT speedtester will not show you upload speeds, only download speeds.
If you do a quiet line test (Dial 17070, option 2) does the line have any noise (e.g. pops,crackles,hissing), as voice artifacts are normally apparent when you have issues with upload speeds or throughput.
Can you login to the router, and post your routerstats please? Interested in the amount of FRC+CRC errors, aswell as the sync speed and SNR.
Regards
pierre_pierre
Grafter

think I will have to go to Spec Savers, could swear that is an up load speed I can see
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A) the time out comment has been cured Smiley :), it was an SMF problem when using multiple servers http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99437.msg847712.html#new
B) have we ever determined what you are on?  ADSL, ADSL+ or Fibre?
c) if you want to check you upload speed use the PN test http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
D) 2:15 PM to 7PM is getting into the slow part of the day and on some packages can be restricted  http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp2.php
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
could swear that is an up load speed I can see

Indeed, dont know what made me say that tbh  Shocked must of been thinking of the Beta tester  Roll_eyes
YouTube is restricted on some packages, during peak time, but that upload should not of taken 5 hours (should of been ~1hr at 256K upload I think)... and upload isn't managed.
Regards
DaveMcC
Grafter

pierre_pierre
B) have we ever determined what you are on?  ADSL, ADSL+ or Fibre?  I am not on dail up, not on Fibre, but the green box for fibre is 440yds away, which I am plugged into
c) if you want to check you upload speed use the PN test http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk didn't see aping test there, but
Today 20:19 6843 kbps (855kB/s) 375 kbps (46.9kB/s)
Sep 11, 00:09 6667 kbps (833kB/s) 312 kbps (39kB/s)
Jun 30, 10:10 6503 kbps (813kB/s) 375 kbps (46.9kB/s)
My ping is 112ms, which is strange, because when I had slow bb before, I am talking real slow here, the ping was and still is the same 112ms
D) 2:15 PM to 7PM is getting into the slow part of the day and on some packages can be restricted, didn't think off that! Embarrassed
I also posted here some where else about slow bb, my mate gets a faster than me, upload, and 36Kbps download
Must go and find it
Dave
But first, I liked this alot
Now, in comparison, it works like this:
I have a old man on a pushbike Dyno, peddling his ar$e off to pull down data at say 3.8mb a second (upload capped at 91kb a sec)...
The little old man is working hard and the dyno is going good, full speed ahead, but then after 3 mins or so, the little old man runs out of puff, and his speed drops right down to like 46kb for a few seconds.... Guess he must be catching his breath Huh?Huh
Then the speed starts to rise again gradually, although in little old man style, like he's downed a bottle of lucozade so back to speed within 13 seconds......
Then after another few mins or so, he runs out of puff again, and his legs give in, with his dyno speed down to like 46kb or so again, down goes another lucozade and on his mission again he goes! Cheesy
So, is there a process or rule on your hardware which is making my little old man lose his power on the dyno making my download speeds go up and down like a yoyo ?
I think  Brd Band, is a highly over hyped technology that will never work, because it is seen as an answer to all short cuts, need an answer, go to World Wide Waste. put more pressure on this system that can't and never will cope with the demands that are being placed on it  , just like an old man on his bike peddling up hill
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sorry DaveMcC but I can see that you dont know much about broad band
A) the fibre  cabinet and the plain ADSL cabinet are totally different
B) do this check and it will tell you what you can get  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html post the answer please but dont show your phone number
I would think you are on plain slow ADSL
C) this will tell you what is available on your exchange  http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search ; you might be able to upgrade the BT from 20cn to 21CN