cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIlly BT Wholesale routing

jamman
Grafter

SIlly BT Wholesale routing

Hi, I am on a 20CN ADSL package synced at 2.5mb for the past 8 or so years. I require low latency as I play online games quite a lot (CS:GO, League of legends, WoW).
Now first of all I am on a fastpath profile and there is no interleaving whatssoever as i requested this be turned off by default. I just want to know why BT deems it fit to change how my connection is routed to plusnet. I have done tracerts and the like but as I dont get to see the hops until I am on plusnets network you will just have to take my word for it.
In the 10 or so years that I have used this line with different ISP's the lowest ping I have gotten to a London server is 13ms (by london server I mean cmd prompt ping tests to bbc/TBB/multiplay). I am based in south west wales so I am kinda happy at that milestone. When I joined plusnet my pings have been as low as 14ms with 15ms more likely which is great. however a few months ago it went to 21ms and last week went to 27-29ms. now 28ms is my stable ping to london servers and the only explanation i can find is that BT are routing me all over the shop before I get to plusnet's network. Why do they do this? I want the fastest lowest latency route there is. What can be done about it? and yes some of you might think I am being an idiot for complaining about such differences in pings but I am wierd like that 😛
Basically what I want is the route to go from my house - to the Birmingham Bras - then down to london, not to much to ask for eh Sad
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: SIlly BT Wholesale routing

Have you checked if interleaving is actually off on both the up and downstream by looking at the router stats? I've had interleaving off on downstream but on on upstream before now (I'm also on 20CN).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

All of the games you've listed will have lag compensation in place, so a difference from 12ms to 28ms isn't actually going to affect what happens on your screen. Generally for an FPS game any ping under 70ish would be fine to play with, my ping is at 40ms regularly and yet I still play FPS games without issue.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jamman
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Have you checked if interleaving is actually off on both the up and downstream by looking at the router stats? I've had interleaving off on downstream but on on upstream before now (I'm also on 20CN).

Its off on both, nothing has really changed in the 8 or so years I have used the router, its a speedtouch DG585 and I check router stats using the dmt tool.
jamman
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
All of the games you've listed will have lag compensation in place, so a difference from 12ms to 28ms isn't actually going to affect what happens on your screen. Generally for an FPS game any ping under 70ish would be fine to play with, my ping is at 40ms regularly and yet I still play FPS games without issue.

I know what you mean, but i am obsessed with my ping and any anomolies really annoy the hell out of me Smiley especially if my base latency has doubled just because BT thinks my packets need a sight seeing tour of northern England.  Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm in South West Wilshire and on 20CN Max Premium so I'd expect faster pings than you. I find it varies a bit - currently on around 21 - sometimes pushes up towards 30. I don't think what you are seeing is an issue. If you do try gateway hopping I'd leave it disconnected for at least 20 minutes before reconnecting in case any part of the path persists.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)