cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Broadband on Test Socket

paullawless
Hooked

Running Broadband on Test Socket

I find it hard to believe PlusNet take out sockets to replace them with one from Openreach and then don't Guarantee the socket outside the Test Socket.

My Broadband stopped working so I followed the Instructions on the Website by using the Test socket to confirm it could be the Wiring which wasn't faulty until the Engineer messed with it. ' I know this because I have had Broadband since 2008/9 and no company has changed a socket. But then when I complained to PlusNet they confirmed it would cost £60 minimum for an Engineer to look at the fault, which I believe was caused by the socket change. This Sucks to me if PlusNet would've told me they don't Guarantee the socket I would've thought twice about getting them.

Now I see there is an option.. to get Broadband Fibre and see if the installation Upgrade covers a New socket and any repair to the old wiring. Fibre will probably come with its own issues like the Broadband ones I have.

I really cant believe PlusNet operate like this ! No guarantees with installations.

16 REPLIES 16
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Running Broadband on Test Socket

Can't understand why they'd say that unless you were transferring to fibre, so you'd need VDSL faceplate.

However, you can buy front plate & install yourself.

The Master Socket is Openreach (previously BT's) property, and if faulty when you use TEST socket is their

responsibility to fix at no cost.

If you'd follow self help instructions here you'd have presumably tried quiet line test?

Is your phone service with BT?; if so try their self check www.

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults&ut...

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't believe what the agent has told you is correct PN policy. The £60 charge is only if the fault is due to a fault on your internal wiring or equipment not a minimum call out charge. Also when you report a fault the process is designed to eliminate your equipment and wiring being at fault so reduce the chances of a charge being made. I believe PN are charged by Openreach for call outs where the customers equipment caused the fault but it's at PN's discretion whether they pass the charge on. 

Edit/ fibre is self install now so you wouldn't have a visit to your premises included in that

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
paullawless
Hooked

PlusNet told me in Chat that they don't warranty the wiring outside the test socket and that it would be from £60+ to look at the wiring and fix the problem. And that the wiring problem was probably in my house. I asked 2 people at PlusNet and they both said the same.

I didn't try a Quiet Line Test because I could see the Test Socket and needed the Net straight away. I also don't use the Phone at all on the Line, just the Web Broadband.

All Service is with PlusNet.

I checked the line speed it was fine.

paullawless
Hooked

I tried to tell the PlusNet Chatter that it wasn't right what he was telling me but he firmly put it to me that it was a fault inside my Flat with most likely the wiring. And would cost me. The other Chatter did mention about passing on the charges if it was the wiring or any of my equipment.

You seem to know the policy well enough.

It could be that its just the Wiring in the Faceplate but I'm not sure about messing it up even more or even ruining it.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

A member of he PN team should be along to advise you but in the meantime get yourself a wired phone and do a quiet line test as a first 

Also you should IMHO report a phone fault it's free.

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
paullawless
Hooked

Thanks I will get the Phone Handsets out tomorrow.

What does IMHO mean ?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

in my honest opinion Grin

Mav
Fixes: 514

I thought it was In My Humble OpinionUndecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

gwyndy
Dabbler

£60 - Bargain.
BT Charged me £95 + VAT for this little gem:
I'd reported a fault after using the test socket, they sent out an engineer who my neighbour let in, he took one look at the main socket, said "there's no microfilter" and left.
The lazy sod didn't bother to look where the cable from the socket was going, if he had, he would have seen the microfilter, nor did he do a quiet line test.
I spent years, as did most of my neighbours with our phone lines going nuts at odd intervals, and being charged a fee every time an engineer came out and couldn't find any fault.
Eventually a BT Openreach  engineer came who did something beyond finding "no fault" or swapping cables around in the nearest junction box, he discovered that about 100m further up the system a length of the cabling had a minor crack in it - every time it rained, the moisture settled onto the outer casing, as it dried the "steam" found it's way into the crack and affected the internal wiring - by the time most of the engineers came out the "steam" in the wiring had dried out totally - no obvious faults when they did a line test.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think I've found your account and can't see that anyone on our side has looked at it recently. Can you private message me your username just so I'm checking the right details please.

The cost to *move* a socket is a minimum £160 + time related charges, a fault is £50 if the issue is caused by internal wiring or setup.

If an engineer is sent as part of a fault and they determine the issue is caused by the master socket, then we review this before passing on any charge. If the socket has been damaged byt the customer then the charge is passed on.,

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paullawless
Hooked

So I did a quiet line test and the noise seems quite Low but the dial tone is broken or interrupted. Is this normal because it has been 3 years since I used a wired phone, I just use my Mobile where there is no dial tone before you dial.

The service warning came up ' The number you dialled has not been recognised please check and try again.'

This is with just the phone connected to the Test Socket. But there is an interrupted dial tone. Not sure if this is new to phone lines or a fault ?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Try dialling 1571, its probably your message service causing the interrupted tone. 

paullawless
Hooked

Thanks mate! That sorted it.. 6 message of PPI and 1 Message of a Free Boiler. Probably going to get charged for receiving them.