cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk unattended

fudokai

Run www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk unattended

I have downloads that run overnight in the 12-8 unmetered slot and lately some are not finishing by 8 when they used to without problem.
Is there any way I can run the broadband speed test unattended - such as from a cron job in Linus so that I can check the speed during the night?
Alan
4 REPLIES 4
madjbright
Grafter

Re: Run www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk unattended

I have no idea how you can do this, but if you run the speed test while you have other things downloading in the background the speed test results will be poor and nit representative of your true speed. And if you run them on a night that you do not download you will not know whether the result is representative of what you have been seeing when your downloads do not complete.
Surely the best measure of download speed is the amount downloaded divided by the time downloading which you can calculate without a speed test.
fudokai

If I was to run this at night I'd pick a night when I'm not downloading.
Just going on download speed is not particularly useful as the site I'm downloading from could be the bottleneck. Not sure how PlusNet's tester works but at least by running the same test I'd have results I can compare.
Recently my speeds have been awful - down to 41kbps las weekend. I logged it with PlusNet and they reported a problem with the exchange and said speeds would be back up in 3 days - which they mostly were. I'd just like to ensure that the unmetered speeds are also good - and I like my beauty sleep  Wink
chillypenguin
Grafter

Take a look at this;
http://www.chillypenguin.org/scripts/bandwidth.htm
Its a simple script that will monitor your bandwidth automatically.
fudokai

I thought about writing my own script (I do have one that just queries the ADSL router via snmp to check the line status) but I'll look into this one.
Cheers  Smiley