cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules about writing e-mails

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Rules about writing e-mails

dont have much trouble with some of those, as when I clcik send it goes to the outbox an my Outlook express, I then have to clcik send and receive to actually post it.  If I think I have made a mistake, I can go in and edit or delete at will.  - the setting is to be found in Tools Options send
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Fully endorse that p_p! Ticking the "Send messages immediately" box is just inviting trouble.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

My recommendations have been and always will be,  on the main window
First select > View > Layout
In the lower panel 'Preview Pane' - uncheck the box 'Show preview pane' , click Apply, OK
Then select > Tools > Options  then -
On the General tab - Check 'When starting, go directly to my Inbox folder'
On the General tab - uncheck 'Send and receive messages on startup'
On the Send tab - uncheck 'Send messages immediately' & at the bottom change the mail sending format to 'Plain Text' . You can always send individual messages in HTML by changing it on the 'Format' tab of the new message window.
On the Security tab, change the security zone to 'Restricted Sites Zone'
Then Click Apply.
Under Virus Protection you may uncheck the box 'Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus' IF you have good, full and upto date virus checking BUT in any event
1) Do not open mail from people you do not know (unless you expect to receive such mail)
2) Do not open ANY attachment unless you have been forwarned about it and the content, and
3) It is better to Save an attachment first, this gives you an opportunity to confirm what type of attachment it is, then open it - this gives the virus checker a second chance to check it.
If you leave the box checked, you will need to come here and uncheck it to open most (but not all) attachment types. It is probably best to leave it checked if you expect to receive mail from people you don't know, it depends how careful you are!
Note - your mail client does not know whether there is a virus present - that is the job of the virus checker - it only knows which types may be able to contain a virus, and that's most of them!
Click OK.
You control Sending/Receiving of Mail by using the Send/Receive Button to do all your accounts, or use the drop down menu next to the button to select the account to Send/Receive or Send all only, or Receive all only. To read a message you select it and the double click it.
Santiago
Grafter

Excellent advice
I would also suggest removing the Reply to All button on the toolbar
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Personally, I use that, but I'm selective about it. The advantage is it puts all the e-mail addresses there for you, I then move any I want between To:, Cc;, and Bcc: and delete any not required, and of course you can add more from your address book as well if you want.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Oldjim
This is the one I wish people would take notice of.
(7) Before you forward an Amber Alert, or a Virus Alert, or some of the other ones floating around nowadays, check them out before you forward them. Most of them are junk mail that's been circling the net for YEARS! Just about everything you receive in an email that is in question can be checked out at Snopes. Just go to http://www.snopes.com/

Yes, that a good one.
Though I wish people would take notice of 6 too.
I still get the 'forward this to 20 people, or you'll get bad luck', or 'forward this to 20 people and Microsoft will send you a cheque for $100' Roll_eyes