cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing issues

STVincents

Routing issues

For the last few weeks I seem to be having routing issues - most noticeable when I am gaming but happening randomly at other times too.

I cal launch 3 game clients and all will time out trying to connect, I try again 2 minutes later the same 3 game clients perhaps 1 or all three will connect. It appears random, and then while in game the same clients (on different monitors on same computer) all have different response times and lagging which changes again apparently randomly. At one stage yesterday I had 2 clients killing the same NPC i game on 2 screens next to one another and one appeared to have killed the NPC a whole minute before the second one noticed he was dead and caught up, before the second client then overtook the first and it was the first one's time to have what was very obviously network issues. As both started and ended at the same places (my computer and the same server for the game) the issues definately seem to be the routes used. I understand that the way the internet works different packets take different routes but this is too visible a problem (seconds and minutes lag rather than microseconds) for it not to be a network problem.

Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Routing issues

If you've a non P.Net router change it's DNS settings to Googles:

(Can't change on a PN Router) Sad

Use a programme such as inSSIDer to see what wifi frequencies are busy in your vicinity;

then change to an unused/ or least used  channel

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Assuming you're using a wired connection from your computer to your router can you run a trace route to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com?

To run a traceroute you'll need to open the Command Prompt and type tracert in front of the address.

If you're using WiFi would you be able to to try an ethernet connection to narrow down where the issue lies?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
STVincents

I do have a PN Router (Hub One) so unfort the first suggestion won't work - thanks.

Regarding trace route here you go:

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi there, 

Looking at the traceroute, everything seems fine, it completed in 9 hops and got to the desired destination. 

Can I ask if you are currently running a wired or wireless connection? 

- Alisdair 

STVincents

It is a wired Lan connection directly into my router PLusnet hub one.

The problem seems worse in the evenings when I gather more people are using their internet connections (I am the only person using mine which is 76MB fibre to cabinet) so it definately should not be my part of the network) I suspect someone or something is blocking or badly routing some of my packets either where it connects to the exchange or somewhere along the route perhaps at the DNS server. I had thought plusnet itself was throttling my connection but they claim they don't do that on fibre connections and as I said I am the only person using this 76m connection and am not exactly a data hog so don't see why they would.

Not sure if it helps but here is the event log from my router while i was having some issues tonight about 2230

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any problems and the attached logs show no issues.

Are you able to use a tool such as Ping plotter so we can investigate further?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@STVincents

Please could you run a ThinkBroadBand Quality Monitor test here and post up the graph when the issue next occurs?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet