Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routerstats interpretation needed

docrobster
Grafter

Routerstats interpretation needed

Hi All
I have been running router stats on my connection since sunday, and seen some odd sudden drops in snr that don't result in loss of sync (1st pic) and then at other times disconnections (2nd pic)
There is a ticket open, and I have given some date for the BT man to come next week as this is happening when I'm plugged into the test socket. These SNR drop and disconnects happened when no-one was at home, and aren't happening at the same time of day as far as I can tell. Can anyone tell me if the snr drops mean anything if I don't lose sync, or why I am getting disconnections (interleaving is now on, and I don't think it has disconnected as much since it has been on.)
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Routerstats interpretation needed

The variations shown on the first graph are perfectly normal - in fact probably better than normal.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
docrobster
Grafter

My bad- missed the bit I meant to capture- it just happened again:
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When it drops to zero it probably just means that routerstats timed out when it tried to read the current data from the router - not that anything happened with your line.
The way to tell is to look at the sync speed, if there was no simultaneous change in sync speed it was just routerstats failing to get the data. (I see that a few times a week and I have a totally stable 8MB sync - it usually happens if I'm doing something that is pushing the PC or internet connection at the time)
stallan
Grafter

Make sure the PC / device you are running routerstats on is a WIRED connection. When WIRELESS drops it can look like the line drop.
docrobster
Grafter

Okay thanks for that I'll ignore it. It is connected wirelessly at the mo as got to use the test socket rather than extension, so that explains it.
I am hoping that interleaving has fixed my problem  (pic2 in 1st post) as there has been no loss of sync in the last 24 hours (well wasn't last time I looked last night) and that corresponds with turning interleaving on.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Running a long ethernet cable from the router to the PC is a far better solution - you'll only start to get problems if it's over 100M long!
The next best is homeplugs which run the connection over your mains circuit.
docrobster
Grafter

I am looking at better solutions in the long run.
For various reasons I won't bore you with, the internal wiring of the house isn't ideal.
Home plugs are probably my best option I think.