cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers

Wulfy
Grafter

Routers

Just looking a replacements for my current paperweight and just wondering is the HH3/4 a good alternative? im also looking at this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008QBAXI4/ref=sr_1_19?s=compu...
Just trying to decide which one to fork out the money for cant really justify spending to much but on the other hand dont want a loadstone like the tecnicolor round my neck iver.ks for

Thanks in advance
12 REPLIES 12
jslane
Grafter

Re: Routers

My parents got a HH4 and haven't had a single problem with their broadband or wireless dropping, which is a huge improvement over the TG582n (constantly dropped wireless). So I would recommend the HH4 if you're looking for an easy to use router.
I'm using a TG582n I got from my old ISP bridged to a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND and it has been great. The TG582n only acts as a modem in this setup with the router being the TP-Link.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, the WD N750 is on special offer again if you are on a tight budget and you have fibre.
Simultaneous dual band N750 with 4 gigabit ports.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wd-net-n750-dual-band-wireless-cable-router-gigabit-19-99-pc-world-1...
A previous thread on this forum about the WD N750
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116371.0.html
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Wulfy
Grafter

zZz great catch thats a really good post thanks for that youve just saved me a small fortune, now over to plus.net, how come you guys dont supply this router ? surely you would be able to negotiate a smiler price with WD?
Conor1978

Quote from: Wulfy
Just looking a replacements for my current paperweight and just wondering is the HH3/4 a good alternative? im also looking at this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008QBAXI4/ref=sr_1_19?s=compu...

Wulfy, what router did you get from PN?
Wulfy
Grafter

Hey,
it was the TG582n
Conor1978

What a surprise! These boards are riddled with complaints about it. I wonder how many times PN have sent people a replacement TG582n -  I got one and I know there are quite a few others on here who got one as that seems to be their first line of defence of this piece of rubbish.  You should ring them and ask them to send a second one.  It won't cost you and it's unlikely to be any improvement but PN might eventually admit defeat with this router.  I bought the ASUS RT-N56U and it's great (see other posts).  Good luck.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to send things off topic but just wondering if you've been able to try that factory reset wulfy? http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117599.msg1017596.html#msg1017596
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Wulfy
Grafter

As of yet... no not had chance to (working for a large tv manufacturer = fixing peoples tvs keeps me busy) once i get 5 minutes to sit down and reset it and re-do my port forwarding i will do so. Ultimately the extremely low bandwith available to the network is the reason im sourcing a new router) i kinda feel like having a porsche but someone hooked up a caravan to it as the internal networks bandwith is lower the the overall line speed (averaging around 26mb wifi line speed 76)
Best regards,
w
ps that dam router zZz posted as gone back up to 50 Sad
Wulfy
Grafter

Reset and upgraded, ill give this 24 hours or so to seattle in what prompted me to do this was yet again another wifi snarl up.... fingers crossed
Wulfy
Grafter

Just out of curiosity is my line at its correct profile? seems 15 up is max just wondering if anything can be tuned.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks Wulfy,
I've just checked and the speed profile is set correctly for the downstream, the upstream isn't profiled though.
Are you seeing those speeds over wireless or ethernet?
Let us know how things go with the router following the reset and the firmware upgrade.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Wulfy
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Regarding speeds wifi speed i can get max 4.2mbps if i kick everyone off the network wifi based other than that 2.1 is around the norm obv well below what the line is able to handle.
Ill be monitoring it tonight once i get home as atm all my port forwards are down so no way to check atm