Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers - Discussion comparison and opinions thread

PiLoT
Grafter

Routers - Discussion comparison and opinions thread

Ive seen at least 4 threads on the front page all with the same issue
asking for other opinions on Routers, wether to use the thompson or another model
So i thought it may be better to have one thread to discuss compare and leave opinions on the routers we use
this also helps keep the forum tidier
4 REPLIES 4
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Routers - Discussion comparison and opinions thread

I've had a few so I'll give my 2p worth of them.
Netgear DG834G - excellent router, keeps on going through thick or thin.  Downsides, it's recovery software only works in XP, generally a good connection though
Buffalo WBMR-G300N - an ok router, nothing special and lacking quite badly in the diagnostics area, wouldn't recommend it personally
2Wire something - an old BT Homehub, probably one of the first?  Quite a decent enough one, keeps ticking over, good management pages, not half bad
Cisco 857W - or maybe 855W, the 85x anyhow, it's a Cisco so it's a quality router, only supports Wireless G, need to fiddle with ADSL firmware to get the best connection, doesn't support IPV6 and never will apparently but still a good router if you want to get into the gubbins of the router, can be difficult to set up
Cisco 877W - another good Cisco that does support IPV6, again it's complicated to get it working but once it's up and running, it stays up and running which is what you want in a router.
If you want a router which you just plug in, configure once and then forget about I'd recommend the Netgear, if you enjoy playing around and don't mind screaming at your router when it doesn't do what you want, the Cisco is fun.
PiLoT
Grafter

Does the netgear do ipv6
ive never used a recovery before
i still plan on using a v4 dg834g for my main connection
linux
Grafter

I have a Netgear DG834Gv5 and it works fine for me. However my local exchange is still ADSL Max, so I haven't been able to try ADSL2+ yet. And I have no need to use the more advanced features such as VPN. So my usage of the router is fairly limited.
Yesterday I downloaded the router's Linux source code in order to investigate whether I could add IPv6 support. The DG834Gv5 uses an ARMv5TEJ processor, which is presumably similar to the ARMv5TE in my old HP iPAQ hx4700 for which I have plenty of Linux development experience. However, unlike the hx4700, there is no obvious way of recovering the DG834Gv5 after installing broken software (especially the kernel). So maybe I'll only attempt to change the software once the router has become expendable!
Quote from: David
Netgear DG834G - excellent router, keeps on going through thick or thin.  Downsides, it's recovery software only works in XP, ...

The DG834Gv5 user manual describes how to save/restore settings and revert to factory default settings, but it seems to make no mention of any recovery software.
David_W
Rising Star

Mine is an old V2, the recovery software basically puts the router into "flash me!" mode, letting you flash the router with firmware even after a bad flash.  But it only works in XP.  There is custom firmware available for the Netgears (DG Team for instance) but not sure they add IPV6 to the mixture.