Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router with WPA2 Enterprise

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Router with WPA2 Enterprise

Looking for a router with WPA2 enterprise and cheapest as possible looking to spend £50 tops.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
7 REPLIES 7
Dmitchell
Grafter

Re: Router with WPA2 Enterprise

Hey.
Netgear RangeMax WNR1000 Has WPA2 Enterprise. Very reliable, costs around £45.
Having said that, our router supports WPA2 (Technicolor TG582n) However I don't actually know the difference between this and WPA2 Enterprise?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

WPA2 Personal is the main WiFi security method and this is what most home and small business users use. It uses a single password. Most WiFi networks use this method.
WPA2 Enterprise is also called 802.1x and is the enterprise method. This method shouldn't be used by home users as it requires a RADIUS authentication server and needs a username and password. It supports multiple accounts for each user.

copied and pasted from a reply someone wrote on another forum Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

This may help the confusion.

WPA2 Personal is the main WiFi security method and this is what most home and small business users use. It uses a single password. Most WiFi networks use this method.WPA2 Enterprise is also called 802.1x and is the enterprise method. This method shouldn't be used by home users as it requires a RADIUS authentication server and needs a username and password. It supports multiple accounts for each user.

http://freeradius.org/
http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1576225&seqNum=3
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Reason is because we have client files on our system and so it needs to be only accessed by authorised people.
Is WPA2 Enterprise able to use without a server? So I set up user names and passwords on the router GUI? I currently have a Netgear WNR1000 supplied by PN.
I will then have two wifi systems running one for authorised users and other for other users
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Possible guide here...
http://www.privacywonk.net/2010/10/security-how-to-wpa2-enterprise-on-your-home-network.php
Sounds like you'd be better off securing the files on the server instead though...
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Is WPA2 Enterprise able to use without a server? So I set up user names and passwords on the router GUI? I currently have a Netgear WNR1000 supplied by PN.

No, it cannot be used without a server.
I think WPA2 Personal would suffice for what you're trying to do. WPA2 Enterprise is really designed for an enterprise-level environment where you have users logging in with their network credentials.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Sounds like you'd be better off securing the files on the server instead though...

+1