Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router with Voip ports recomendatons

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Router with Voip ports recomendatons

For many years I have been using a Sppedtouch ST780wl with two voip port, combined with plusnets voip service ( and sometimes sipgate)
over the last year or so the 780wl started randomly re-booting (  not very oftne but a pian in the backside non the less)
Thne my ADSL went down, which resulted in a BTR open reach bod having a poke around, after which everythuing started to work again.
He did however sugest that i update my modem/router, and upon furhter talks with plusnet they sent me a TG582n which so far hasnt self  re-booted.
the only downside is that i miss my Voip phone Sad
any recomendations? or should i just get a cheap linksys pap2 from e-bay ( £13-£40 )?
8 REPLIES 8
pwatson
Rising Star

Re: Router with Voip ports recomendatons

Personally I would (well actually, did) go for an IP phone instead - Saves all the 4 wire<>2 wire conversion and resultant echo issues.
Siemens do a range of DECT IP/Analogue base stations and associated handsets 
Example: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=12485&utm_source=google&utm_medium=sho...
pint
Aspiring Pro

Thnaks, i thought about the ip phone route, but i would prefer an all in one solution 9 if possible ) , ive already got the ( standard ) wired phones iin place+ the cabling and Dect cordless phones have always been probelmatic for me.
zpeterk
Grafter

If your budget is good go for a Fritz box
Sebtomato
Rising Star

If you win the lottery, go for a Fritzbox...
It seems that the only other manufacturer including VOIP/SIP ports into routers is Draytek, but their routers are also quite expensive.
dick:quote
zpeterk
Grafter

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you are on ADSL then get a BT HH2, I got a new one of freecycle but they are on ebay/boot sales etc..
It will connect directly to the pn service but you have to flash it to get additional sip providers on it, simple takes about 10 min.
Still using mine via bridge mode to my fibre service.
(I also had a 780wl great router.)
pint
Aspiring Pro

Thnbaks for the replys so far, any opinions on the TP-Link TD-VG3631  here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=13594 ; ?Huh
pint
Aspiring Pro

If i was to buy the above, would it be future proof? hopefuly it would last a few years