cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router wierdness with a WiFi printer?

oliverb
Grafter

Router wierdness with a WiFi printer?

Has anyone else seen an issue where connecting an "all in one" printer wirelessly (instead of USB) causes loss of internet function? The first time I saw this was with an oldish Netgear router and the problem was fixed by a substitute router. This time it was a Draytek 2800 router I don't want to part with and without the printer its fine but with the printer I seem to lose routing after a while even for wired connections.
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Router wierdness with a WiFi printer?

You might want to look at what IPs are being assigned by the router to the devices on your network as there could be a clash of IPs causing a loss of connectivity to other devices when the printer is in use.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
oliverb
Grafter

I'm sure it wasn't a regular IP clash as the printer had a fixed IP at the time. The printer did have an odd habit of going offline at the time and it seems like some kind of conflict, just not a simple IP assignment. Using a second router as an access point for the printer seems to cure the problem but I'm not clear why as it had the same IP. I'm wondering if the printer's wifi client was a bit nonstandard.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If it's got any options for the IP connectivity perhaps there's a static IP set in the printer, hence the conflict and loss of connectivity? It's just a guess though, but I hope it helps.