cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router upgrade

dupedup

Router upgrade

Hi,
Recently had Plus Net FTTC installed and was sent the Netgear WNR1000v3 router. Using wi fi around the house the signal drops from 18mb to around 1.4mb (36mb wired). The upload remains the same at 1.6mb.Having played with changing channels with out much success I have come to the conclusion that I need to upgrade to a router with the choice of 2.4GHz & 5GHz, within £90.00 ideally.
Having looked around I have come up with the Asus RT-N562 unit and would appreciate any commenrts on this choice or the Belkin N600 unit?
Appreciate any advise.
3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Router upgrade

I thought the 5GHz band has worse range and penetration of walls etc than 2.4GHz.
dupedup

As I understand it you have the choice with an added dongle to use either frequency. The 5GHz is not so susceptible to interference from other equipment in the home that favors the 2.4GHz band to work on. With the different routers that I mention they also come with 5 ariels which suggests to me that there is a stronger signal going out as well. I think that that the Netgear is a lovely little router, to get a better signal around the house I think that I need to change.
frank39
Grafter

The sure solution to range problems is to add a wireless range extender or to put a cable router set up as an access point (easy if it's the belkin 54g) on the end of an ethernet cable - I guess you could use a homeplug if you can't do the cable run.  I use the the access point solution, cost about £10 from Amazon and it works - serves data as fast as it comes down the line.  Gets round the problems of choosing and paying for a fancy router, which may not do all that it says it will (just look at the user forums for Netgear DGND 3700, for example).