Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router turned off and now low speed and high ping, HELP

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Router turned off and now low speed and high ping, HELP

Got someone looking at it now for you. Keep an eye on your ticket for any updates and if I get any more info, I'll let you know here.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our faults guy has been done some extensive tests and has popped the ticket back to you with a few things for you to look at. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it soon, and bearing in mind that the sooner you get that done, the sooner I can nudge someone to test it a bit more.
Jojo Smiley
puddy
Grafter

Hi
Do you have a speedtouch router? others are listed
If so download the DMT program from http://dmt.mhilfe.de/
I am not sure if it will work with 21cn.  The program can re-sync your router between you and the telephone exchange

I have found it very useful  upgrading my sync rate back up to 8120
Regards
Puddy
MrN
Grafter

@ jojo, thanks again and I have answered/checked as many questions as I can but the main thing that is puzzeling is the downloads and pings change during the day when the network, i would have thought it would have been at its quietest. On the graveyard night shift tonight so wont be around until early afternoon.  Smiley
@puddy. Thanks for that but wont get chance to really look into until tomorrow afternoon, did re-boot router as instructed via PN support staff tonight and it synced at 11680, it is as I have said above all looks great with the connection its just during the day the download reduces and the pings reach 350ms today but stabalise latewr in the day. Bit stumped really.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, MrN, I'll pick that up in the morning and see what we can make of it. Thanks for being so helpful and speedy in your response.
Jojo Smiley
MrN
Grafter

another day passes and the ping increase does as well, re-booted router last night and syned at 11600 and had a ping of 38ms with 1ms of jitter on clear line. Now we have reached the afternoon again the ping has increased to over 100ms and the jitter is 18ms making on-line gaming and other activities pointless. WHAT is going on and how can this be so up and down all the time. Is the bandwidth being throttled? is their traffic shaping taking place on certain traffic increasing the latency as this is happening at the same period of the day all the time? and having reviewed my BT speed tests the average result is 6.5meg on line with max achievable speed of 21000kps surely the average download speed should be far greater? Where does the fualt lie, is the 6.5meg the maximum be delivered on an up to 20meg connection.  Angry
MrN
Grafter

Router stats test this afternoon
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI MrN,
Just to let you know that my colleague has been working some more on your issue this afternoon and has updated your ticket. One thing, is that we are starting to get deeper into this so this will mean that we are getting closer to a conclusion hopefully.
Jojo Smiley
MrN
Grafter

Thanks for the post jojo. Having read the ticket and done some tests at my end the speed reduction and thus the increase in latency started today when playing on-line games. Initial download speed was running at 9.9Mb/s with a ping of 38ms but this then dropped across the afternoon to 2.4Mb/s and a ping of 150ms + making the on-line gaming very difficult, well infact absolutely pointless. Does this indicate that the traffic is not marked correctly and thus is being shaped/throttled, if so why when I have only used 11GB over the last month of a 60GB limit and this is not during the peak periods for your Traffic Management, but this shouldn’t matter as it is listed as priority traffic all the time (http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#extraSpeeds).
One test carried out after viewing the ticket delivered a speed of 9.8Mb/s (site listed by PN support) but a BT speed test taken within in a minute of the first indicated a speed of 5.7Mb/s and both were performed at 18:30 tonight. Does this indicate a varying speed as listed before or is the speed test site listed by PN not as accurate as the BT site. If this is the case then the ADSL2+ is currently only delivering an average speed of 6.5Mbs which gives no increase in download speed at all from my previous supplier and is in fact a lot more unstable and does not come anywhere near the line speed of 10Kb/s. I will post to the ticket all BT speed test results taken over the last few days which clearly show the speed as low as 2.3Mb/s and only going as high as 6.5Mb/s.
Not really sure where to go next with this one as all tests at my end indicate a fluctuating and low speed especially during the day?Huh
Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MrN,
Although from your last post I can see that you have experienced a varience in download speed, if you think there may be an issue with the traffic prioritisation you may consider trying a wireshark capture. This will enable us to see if your traffic is not being correctly prioritised. You will need to download this program first. A guide on how to use it can be found here
http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
Jojo Smiley