cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router trying to synch...

Domily

Router trying to synch...

Hi, I'm new to the forums and Plusnet. Forgive me if this is in the wrong section.
Basically, Plusnet told me my broadband activation date would be Tuesday 29th March after 12pm.
On Sunday (27th) my router (Netgear DG834Gv3) was synching with a downstream rate of ~3600kbps and line attenuation of 48db. After reading these forums, it seemed like all I needed to do was ring Plusnet who would activate my line, and I'd have broadband.
I rang Plusnet, who informed me there was still "work to be carried out", but offered no clue as to what this was. They also said if they did activate my broadband before the 29th, my router still wouldn't be able to receive the "broadband signals"  Undecided
So basically, can I activate early and use my broadband? Or do I have to wait until tomorrow for these mysterious works to be carried?
Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Router trying to synch...

Plusnet normally would not activate your account until they have received notification from BT that they have done all they have to do.
Please note: If your broadband is activated early you will be billed from that date but Plusnet would not be able to raise a fault with BT until after BT's activation date.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Domily

Thanks for the reply.
BT OpenReach tested our line over a week ago, and told PN that everything was fine, and that the order should go through within a day.
I'm just a bit confused, as PN and BT are saying different things, and I'm unsure as to which is causing the hold up.
Edit: I know I have only a day to wait, but I need the internet at home for work Sad
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Functionally your router might sync with the exchange but the routing information to connect you to Plusnet's gateways could still need adding. This would be "the mysterious works" you mentioned. If the exchange work was completed at the weekend it is likely that this additional BT Wholesale work would be entered today.
So, perhaps surprisingly, what you were told by Openreach, and by Plusnet is consistent, and correct.
Plusnet would be wary of activating your line before the routing information is present because, as they said, you would not be able to use it, but you *would* be charged. However there is a good chance it will work now if you want to take the risk of asking for activation today. Your choice.
David
Domily

This is what I was trying to ascertain. The Plusnet CS guy could not tell me what "works" needed to be carried out, which made me a bit dubious.
I suppose I will just have to wait for tomorrow and see what happens...  Undecided
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Domily,
The order's confirmed complete so I've activated your account for you now - please let us know if there's any issues but you should be fine to connect whenever you're ready Smiley
Domily

That's great, cheers. Thanks for everyone's replies.