cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router to Use with Fibre

tiswas123

Router to Use with Fibre

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a good router to use with fibre, if possible something that works as a near replacement for the Technicolor or something to replace the modem and the router. If possible with out lots of fiddling about with.
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
thunderer
Grafter

Re: Router to Use with Fibre

Depends on how much you want to spend.
tiswas123

Hello,
Money wise anything from £100 to £150 just after some options.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

A lot of people say the asus N66u is good  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
launton
Grafter

I'm using that router and it's been worth every penny.  Just brilliant.
dick:quote
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I use the Asus RT-N56U & that is also fantastic & cheaper than the 66U.
dfunked
Grafter

+1 for the N66U - fantastic bit of kit if you don't mind spending the cash
richardc1983
Grafter

I use this one for my wifi...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR1043ND-300Mbps-Wireless-Printers/dp/B002YETVTQ/ref=sr_1_1/278-1...
Its brilliant and really good. I bought a 2nd hand Huwaii Openreach Modem on ebay for the modem side of things.
xreyuk
Grafter

I use a TP-Link WDR3600. You can probably get it for around £40-£50 now, and it's got fast enough WiFi to utilise the whole of your FTTC connection.
thunderer
Grafter

There's Draytek 2600 & 2700 series, the Billion 8800NL, the aforementioned ASUS series all of which can work with both ADSL & VDSL,  so if you move out of a fibre area you can keep using it.
Do shop around as the prices can vary widely.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

something to replace the modem and the router

There's not actually that many units atm which are combined FTTC modem routers.  
Some of them are expensive and may exceed your budget Sad  
The Billion 8800NL will do the job and is good on VDSL lines, but the downside for me is that it doesnt contain a GbE switch. Theres a discussion on this router here where you can see its a decent performer for the price.
I have an  Zyxel VMG8324-10A which I love - it performs slightly better and is more stable than the HG612.   Unfortunately trying to pick up one of these in the UK now is pretty difficult as theyve all sold out.
Eirecom are using these routers branded as f1000 and its possible to re-flash them with standard OEM firware..  there's instructions on my forum how to do this.
Weve also seen good reports with the ZyXEL SBG3300-N but at £170 it was just slightly over my budget too.
TPLink are very soon to be releasing a TD-W9980 for public release in the UK.  
This contains a lantiq chipset which may be favoured by those on an ECI cab -  however it still doesnt quite match BCM chipsets on my (ECI cab) line nor have the lovely things that techies love about the BCMs, but if youre not into all the advanced stats stuff.. then judged on what Ive seen it should come in at a very competitive price if you dont mind waiting a short while. Wink  
mccarthey

We've recently moved from a 3 floor, tall but thin house, to a 2 floor, short but wide house.  The trusty Technicolor which did fine previously is just not giving us the coverage in our new home so I went on the hunt for how to exrend our range.  Initially I bout a wifi extender but it only boosted the signal very marginally and so I returned it.  I then went for the TP-Link WDR3600 router as mentioned here.  Whilst it definitely gave us improved speeds when stood next to it, the range is absolutely appalling - much worse than the Technicolor!  I couldn't believe that the range, advertised as up to 70m, barely gave us 7m.  Unless anyone can think of something I'm doing wrong then I'll be returning it today but I still need to boost my signal - I'm getting too much hassle from the kids and the wife (apparently it's all my fault  :-[).  So where do I go next?  Access points?  Another router?  Please help!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

So where do I go next?
Have you tried different channels on either of the routers, it could be that there are adjacent networks in the new house on the same channels.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You could also try setting the channel width of the TP-Link WDR3600 2.4GHz network to 20MHz.
mccarthey

Thanks for the suggestions.  Not tried either of those no - I've not taken the new one back yet so I'll give it a go this week.  Are those of you with the WDR3600 getting a good range?  I've gone back to Technicolor for now as it gives better range  Undecided