cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router throttling xbox one, why?

Averagejoe
Grafter

Router throttling xbox one, why?

I've had some instabilities with my xbox one which seem to have calmed down.
However, now things are stable I did a few tests.  Using a TP link 8691 on adsl wireless my ipad routinely gets 12 - 14 Mb down, 0.7 up, 50ms ping.
PS4 3.5 down, 0.5 up 50ms ping.
But the xbox one gets 0.03 down, 0.7 up, 177ms ping and warns me speeds are too low.
I've never had any issues with multiple tablets ps3 or xbox 360 running simultaneously on this router.  It is giving dhcp errors and when tried to hardwire the xbox one it came up with dhcp errors as well. 
Any thoughts on the xbox one getting throttled or is just new router time.
Xbox one is in same room as router.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
JTaylor
Grafter

Re: Router throttling xbox one, why?

Hey Averagejoe
Sounds like a pain!
My first idea would be a wired connection but you've already mentioned you've had issues with it.
Any way you could test with another router, maybe borrow one or use the one we sent?  I don't want to tell you to go out an spend your hard earned on something that might not be the issue.
Cheers
Averagejoe
Grafter

Don't have the chance to try a second router, I'll ask around and see if I can borrow one, really not sure about this XB1, more trouble than it's worth at the moment.
shure
Grafter

If it helps I have an XB1 which worked fine both wired and wirelessly straight out of the box (on Asus RT-N66u on ADSL Max 8Mb), so I don't think your problem is necessarily XB1-specific, unless you have a faulty unit.  As an exercise to exclude it as the issue, are you able to take it round to a friend's house to test setup there?  If it doesn't work there then maybe the XB1 itself is faulty
Averagejoe
Grafter

shure, and others,
if I could borrow a router would that give the same result as taking to a friends, net effect would be the same i.e. different router, or is it worth checking on different internet provider and router?
Thanks
shure
Grafter

Looks like it would have the same effect, as you say.
I should have been more specific.  I meant if you could find a friend who also has an XB1 and then set yours up at his house, you would know for sure that it should work.  If it did, then you could happily exclude the XB1 as the issue.
Averagejoe
Grafter

ok got it, think I'll try router first then someones house, just for ease to start off with, never had an issue with the PS3 or 4......... Roll_eyes