cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router supplied for FTTC

garywood84
Rising Star

Router supplied for FTTC

I've spoken to Plusnet today regarding upgrading to FTTC.  They said that the router I'd receive would be a Thomson TG582n.  I've just looked this up online and it's listed as an ADSL2+ device.  Is this correct?
16 REPLIES 16
houlton23
Grafter

Re: Router supplied for FTTC

Nope, the router Plusnet supply for FTTC is the Netgear WNR1000v3.
Alex Smiley
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: houlton23
Nope, the router Plusnet supply for FTTC is the Netgear WNR1000v3.

Thanks, Alex.  I thought that, too, from previous posts here and from the Plusnet website.  However, the agent I spoke to said that they don't supply the Netgear anymore and he's ordered me the Thomson - confirmed by a ticket I've subsequently received.  I'll give them a call tomorrow to make sure the right one is ordered.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

The TG582N will work on FTTC: one of the LAN ports can be used as a port to connect a fibre modem. I know this because I have one sitting here on a trial from Plusnet.
I hope that helps.
houlton23
Grafter

Router Fan: I really do hope they haven't stopped supplying the Netgear for new FTTC installs as I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the Thomson/Speedtouch hardware/software...
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

I don't think they have, you can only get it on special request (according to a post by one of the digital care team on here a few days ago) and on the Plusnet IPv6 trial, but I believe Ben Trimble (who is responsible for sending the routers out) has run out of stock.
I suspect you will be sent the Netgear but I'm sure one of the digital care team will confirm this tomorrow.
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks Router Fan.
So with the Thompson, I have to use one of the 4 network ports to connect the modem?  That will be a problem, if so, because I have four devices connected to my current router on ADSL2+ (which has the modem built in).  I'll speak to Plusnet tomorrow and see if I can have the Netgear instead.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: garywood84
So with the Thompson, I have to use one of the 4 network ports to connect the modem?

Yes, when you initially setup the router, there is an option to set it up for ethernet WAN which configures the fourth ethernet port to accept a connection from an external modem (ADSL, fibre, etc.). The port is marked with a red mark to indicate which port you connect the external modem to.
The digital care team will probably pick up this thread tomorrow and find out exactly what is going on with your router.
By the way: the router is technically a Thomson but it is actually a Technicolor router as Technicolor took over Thomson.
I hope that's okay.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That's useful information Router Fan, I couldn't find that on the Tecnicolor specification, there are quite a few routers now with this facility.  I did find 'IPV6 ready' on the spec though.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: walker23
That's useful information Router Fan ... there are quite a few routers now with this facility.

This facility would be useful for anyone signing up on an ADSL service who might upgrade to Fibre in the future, because it would save them having to change hardware.  However, for people like me who are going into fibre, the Netgear WNR1000v3 fibre router is a better option, because it has a port for the fibre modem to connect to, rather than having to use one of the 4 ports of the router itself, and thus reducing the number of devices you can connect to the router without using a switch.
garywood84
Rising Star

I've spoken to support and they agreed to update my order to the Netgear WNR1000 v3 router instead of the Thomson.
Plusnet staff - could somebody confirm that this has now been changed on the order?  I understood I'd get an email confirmation, but haven't received anything.
Thanks,
Gary
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just to clarify a couple of things...
Quote from: Router
The TG582N will work on FTTC: one of the LAN ports can be used as a port to connect a fibre modem. I know this because I have one sitting here on a trial from Plusnet.

This is correct, but you need a different firmware to the one currently shipping.
I believe Ben Trimble (who is responsible for sending the routers out) has run out of stock.

I ran a limited trial of the Technicolor 582n routers with an IPv6 / PPPoE capable firmware which has since finished; I'm not responsible for sending out routers but occasionally help out with trials and suchlike.
Plusnet staff - could somebody confirm that this has now been changed on the order?  I understood I'd get an email confirmation, but haven't received anything.

You have one on the way Smiley
By the way: the router is technically a Thomson but it is actually a Technicolor router as Technicolor took over Thomson.

Technicolor is Thomson's parent company. Technicolor have re-branded Thomson routers as Technicolor. There has been no recent takeover Smiley
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: Ben

You have one on the way Smiley

Cheers, Ben - much appreciated.
jazz
Grafter

@Ben    Sorry to chip in on this one but when I ordered an upgrade to Fibre last Friday I specifically sought assurance that the router supplied was the Netgear WRN1000 and had this confirmed.  I've not yet received a router (though a BT appointment has been confirmed).  I'm somewhat alarmed if it is not going to be a Netgear router supplied.  Can you please tell me whether it will be a Netgear and at what stage in the order/appointment process you expect to despatch it??    Sad
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@jazz
No worries Smiley there was a problem in the automated system changing your account type, which would have ordered the router at the same time. I've done an instant account change (don't worry about charges - your billing date is after the fibre due date) which has allowed me to send the right type of router out for you (as you can't order a fibre router on a non-fibre account).