cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router suggestions

beachmat

Router suggestions

We've recently joined and received the Technicolor TG582n router. The connection speed is good but I've never liked their interface and there are a couple of things which we'll need which don't seem to be possible without messing about in the CLI, which I'd rather not have to do if at all possible (assigning particular fixed IPs and VLANS). Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good router? I have a DLink at home which I know supports VLANS but I don't know if they get a good speed on Plusnet?
thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Router suggestions

You need to get into the CLI to do various things with the 582n, but there's plenty of advice around the forum on that, http://npr.me.uk/ is also a good place to look (you'll find him round here as well).
Assigning fixed IPs isn't too difficult which I've done on mine so to be consistent with one of my other modem/routers if I need to swap, I'm not particularly familar with VLANS, there are some relevant CLI commands.
You can download the CLI manual (I'll see if I can find a link) it does only list the commands though and not explain how/when/why to use a particular command Roll_eyes
Which firmware version are you using and is it in ADSL or FTTC mode?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

You can cause a dhcp allocated ip address to be made persistent through the GUI, but not allocate a specific address.
You can set up additional subnets / dhcp pools via the GUI as well.
May be the right question to ask is why do you need this complication within a home network?
By the way, the DLink should be fine on the PlusNET service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DerwentMailman
Dabbler

Quote from: beachmat
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good router? I have a DLink at home which I know supports VLANS but I don't know if they get a good speed on Plusnet?
thanks

I'm using a D-Link DIR-850L AC1200 router with Fibre Unlimited Extra 76 Mbps.  No issues so far.  Speed via ethernet is just below this mark (76 Mbps ).  Wireless performance is OK and better than that provided by my previous Sky router ( old Netgear model).  I'm getting 30+ Mbps line of sight no walls which drops to 15-20 Mbps upstairs.  I've never used the technicolor having been put of by the reviews I saw so bought my own router instead.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Townman
May be the right question to ask is why do you need this complication within a home network?

Offspring and their friends with mobiles and the like, restricted access, QOS perhaps and so on?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Anotherone
Exactly, but it's wise to ask the OP.  Wink
In regard of QoS does that simply restrict up- stream?  Though off topic I'd love to be able to ensure that my iPlayer usage gets more priority over my step son's (28) video streaming. However as I understand it QoS cannot apply priority to the downloads.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Townman
I'd love to be able to ensure that my iPlayer usage gets more priority over my step son's (28) video streaming. However as I understand it QoS cannot apply priority to the downloads.

Yes IPQOS does mainly work on upstream.
Using a technicolor router, if the video streaming is through a ethernet port you could control / restrict the speed through that port. This may help you claim some bandwidth for yourself.
If it's wifi then no, unfortunately.
If you wish to have a play, the following commands will restrict the output speed to something like 4mbps from eth port 2:
eth switch shaper ifconfig port=2 ingress=disabled shaper=0 state=enabled (disabled) speed=4000000 burstsize=16
saveall
To disable the above: change (state=enabled)  to (state=disabled)
Don't forget to use "saveall"
beachmat

Thanks all. It's ADSL, and for business use actually, hence the slightly more complex requirements. I tried our old Netgear DG834 v4 which used to work well on BE, but the speed isn't as good as the TG582, especially for upstream, despite supporting Annex M.