Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router red light.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Router red light.

The "internet" indicator light on my  Technicolour TG582n router is showing red but there is no problem with my connection (ADSL2+). Why would this happen? It has happened before a couple of times  and  after powering it off then on the green light returned.
I'm a bit reluctant to reboot because, at the moment, I'm getting the best download/upload speeds I've EVER had.
13 REPLIES 13
mushy
Grafter

Re: Router red light.

I think it has been noted on a few of the user on the forums having the same issue but doesnt seem to affect its operation so maybe just a common issue with them, probably be ok if it still is working ok
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I had a red light, now its off alltogether, and with it my internet conncetion is down as well - thomson speedtouch ST780wl same company as technicolor.
DSL light on, Internet light was red, but now its off ( loss of sync)
Im currently using fon to connect.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I chanced a "soft" disconnect after accessing the router. Green light returned and my connection speeds are still the same.  Smiley
Must be a slight glitch with this router make/model? Considering other users have experienced similar.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Quote from: pint
I had a red light, now its off alltogether, and with it my internet conncetion is down as well - thomson speedtouch ST780wl same company as technicolor.
DSL light on, Internet light was red, but now its off ( loss of sync)
Im currently using fon to connect.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems getting online. Do you still have the same problem after restarting your router?
pint
Aspiring Pro

Up until yesterday my plusnet connection had been virtualy rock solid ( signed up in june 2004)  and this year the phone line was moved over to plusnet as well.
Ive power cycled my router plenty of times, still nothing, dead.
Earlier on today the phone line went dead for a while, together with the broadband i asume as their was no ringtone. A BT open reach van was also in the area.
The phone line came back to life again after a while, and the open reach van left, however i have now lost my internet connection, when i try and connect via the router interface the light comes on red, then goes off, sometimes it tries to re-connect showing  red ight, but then it goes off again.

Ive also requested an update/regrade to ADSL2when i asked when this would take place i was told ( after asking) from the 10th of January.
could any of the above be linked.
On a side note the local exchange has recently had a large red beacon flashing away clearly visable form outside.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thank you for your reply.
Are you able to change the log in details that are used to connect you to the Internet?
If you could log into your router and run through the router set up with the username of:
bt_test@startup_domain
and a password:
test
Once the set up has completed, please try and browse to any website. If you are unable to connect to a BT Site, please let us know, if you are unable to connect to any page at all, please raise a Broadband Fault at http://faults.plus.net
pint
Aspiring Pro

Still no luck, ive tried the username above, and theres no connection the light goes red and then it goes out.
I have also tries this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/bttest.htm with the same result.
I also raised a question/ticket, yesterday, but there has been absolute silince from plusnet that system used to be quick to give an answer/update as well Sad
pint
Aspiring Pro

ive also factory re-set my router but still nothing, its a speedtouch ST780WL if that is of any use.
the check internet conectivity page shows this:
Test Succeeded DSL
Test Failed ATM
Could not send loopback cell.
Test Failed PPP
Your connection is currently down.
pint
Aspiring Pro

And form the router log after a re-boot
00:39:21 (since last boot) xDSL linestate down

Info 00:38:35 (since last boot) CONFIGURATION mbus igd sync successfull

Info 00:38:28 (since last boot) CONFIGURATION mbus atomic sync successful
pint
Aspiring Pro

Back up again, sort of.
The BT openreach vans have all cleared off, and my conection is alive again.
Ive recently been moved to ADSL2, so as far as i know theres a training period, at the monet there *is* a connection and it *is* working current speeds:
download 0.02Mbps Upload 0.48Mbps
pint
Aspiring Pro

and that was that, dead again.
pint
Aspiring Pro

Just had this via a plusnet ticket/question
"Looks like the port is failing/has failed. It quicker to book a SFI here as the exchange engineering task won't complete until next week at the latest. I can get a SFI out for Saturday afternoon."
"Looks like your port is/has failed. If I arrange an exchange task, it will take a few days but I can get you an engineer out tomorrow afternoon. Will someone be available between 1PM and 6PM? If there will be, you don't need to reply back to this message."
There will be someone in - i will be in later ( from 5ish) but they arent familiar with the various bits that go online, what will the engineer do, will it be somehting at my end? i need to pass the information on in the next 30-40 minutes
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Nobody will be here to help - try phoning