cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router recommendations requested

GeoffLane
Dabbler

Router recommendations requested

My router (a Netgear DGFV338) recently started losing routes. The DSL modem bit remained in sync, but the routing engine wasn't doing what it should. I've got an old D-Link router in place temporarily, but it doesn't do everything I need and won't give me more than about 7Mpbs download speed. A couple of hours searching turned up some compatibility issues between some routers and PN's service (typically, MTU setting couldn't be increased to the optimum) and so I'm turning to the community for recommendations.
I need the following:

• ADSL2+

• 802.11g

• 4 Fast Ethernet LAN ports

• DHCP server

• DNS server or forwarding

• Port forwarding filtered by WAN netblock. For example, I need to permit forwarding of incoming SIP traffic only if it comes from one of my SIP providers and drop that traffic if it comes from anywhere else.

• VPN passthrough would be nice, but not essential

Any recommendations gratefully received.
TIA,
Geoff
2 REPLIES 2
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Router recommendations requested

How about......the same again Wink
GeoffLane
Dabbler

Re: Router recommendations requested

Thanks for the reply.
FWIW, I had thought of getting another DGFV338. Unfortunately, Netgear have discontinued that model and all I could find was one refurb on Amazon at too expensive a price.
I did find the Netgear DGN2200, which seemed it would fit the bill, but a reviewer who was a PN customer wrote in language that suggested he was technically competent that there is an issue that means you could only get 13Mbps from an "up to 20 Mbps" service even if, like me, you live almost on top of the exchange and can get a lot more with other routers (link to review). So it seems that there's potential for a gotcha or two, which is why I asked the community for recommendations.